Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Changing page destination

Hi,

I've got a site that has an 'about' section - a folder that contains three pages and the customary index.php.

I want the main navigation link for 'about' to bypass the index.php file and choose one of the other files.

I've achieved this on a different project but on this site when I change the path from /about/index.php to /about/other-file.php in admin the page won't doesn't display its content region anymore.

Thanks, John.

John Robinson

John Robinson 7 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Did you check the box to move the page?

No, the file I want about to go to is already in that folder so I just changed the path.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

So which page was the content tied to?

The content is in a file called 'what-I-do.php'.

I just want the 'about' link on the main navigation to go there rather than 'index.php' but changing the path from 'index.php' to 'about/what-i-do.php' results in the content disappearing completely from the 'about/what-i-do.php' page.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

So do you now have two pages with the same path?

Ah, yes. That's going to cause a problem isn't it?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It sounds like it, but I'm having trouble visualising the situation.

Sorry, probably not explaining it very well.

I've done it before, albeit with an earlier version of Perch.

Client didn't want an initial landing page for the About section so I set it up through admin to go to 'Page1.php' and bypass 'index.php' in the About folder. I thought it was just simply a case of changing the file path in admin from 'About/index.php' to 'About/Page1.php'.

But when I do that it fails to display the content on 'Page1.php'.

Got round it using an .htaccess redirect in the end.

As I say it did work in an earlier version of Perch but it might just be one of those things that worked when it shouldn't have.

Thanks for taking a look Drew.