Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Addons

No log in error for bogus email address

Hi, Using the members app (v1.6.1), I find that if I attempt login for a known member but an incorrect password then I get the message from this below section of the page:

<perch:error for="all" type="login">
    <p class="error">Those details do not match our records.</p>
</perch:error>

However, if I try logging in with a bogus member email address, the message isn't displayed.

Could it be that this is expected behaviour? (If not I'll post diagnostics and template).

Thanks

Dave C

Dave C 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The message should be the same no matter the failure.

Dave C

Dave C 0 points

What I'm finding is, if I try:

username: 1@2

password: whatever

I get no error displayed. But if I try:

username: 1@2.x
or username: 1@2.y

password: whatever

the message is displayed. Do you get this too? Perhaps it's the email address being malformed.

From the look of the browser spinner and dev tools, the page is definitely being submitted.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What does debug output?

Dave C

Dave C 0 points

Output for 1@2 includes

Array
(
    [email] => format
)

Whereas output for 1@2.x includes:

User not found.
0.0961  0   

Array
(
)

0.0962  0.0001  ------------------------------ here mem ------------------------------
0.0962  0   

Array
(
    [all] => login
)

(Runway 3.0.4)

Just tried it and I get the same thing. However, the error with my form is that the email 1@2 is not formatted correctly therefore my form will not accept it. Is this the same for you maybe?

Dave C

Dave C 0 points

Conor Harkins said:

Just tried it and I get the same thing. However, the error with my form is that the email 1@2 is not formatted correctly therefore my form will not accept it. Is this the same for you maybe?

Sorry do you mean that your browser rejects it and that the page is not being submitted? In my case the form is being submitted.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

So you're getting a validation error on the format of the email address. You can add a format type error message to show to the user for that.

Dave C

Dave C 0 points

Drew McLellan said:

So you're getting a validation error on the format of the email address. You can add a format type error message to show to the user for that.

Ah I get it -what FF/Chrome think of as an invalid address and what Perch does is slightly different (have type="email").