Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Forms

Form Spam issue.

Hi,

I've recently moved my site to a different host (nothing's changed on the site itself) and all the emails that are generated from my contact page form end up in the SPAM tab in Perch. When I tested forms on the old host they got through. Diagnostic emails get through no problem. I've got filters set up in the hosting setup but they're set to the normal 6.3 setting.

Any ideas or clues to why this could be happening?

Cheers, John.

John Robinson

John Robinson 7 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I'm not clear what the problem is. What "spam tab in Perch?" Are you describing Comments? If so what are you using to identify them as spam?

The spam tab in the responses section of Perch forms.

Every form that is submitted from my contact form is being marked as spam and not getting emailed to me.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

What method have you implemented to check for spam?

Akismet and the antispam attribute in Perch.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Can we see your form template?

Sure, here it is. I've been using it for some time with no problems but as I said earlier I've switched host over the weekend.

<perch:form id="contact" method="post" app="perch_forms" class="contact">

<perch:label for="name">Name <span class="required">(required)</span></perch:label>
 <perch:error for="name" type="required"><span class="required-error">Please enter your name</span></perch:error>
<perch:input type="text" id="name" required="true" label="Name" antispam="name" tabindex="1" />

<perch:label for="email">Email <span class="required">(required)</span></perch:label>
<perch:error for="email" type="required"><span class="required-error">Please enter your email address</span></perch:error>
<perch:error for="email" type="format"><span class="required-error">Please check your email address</span></perch:error>
<perch:input type="email" id="email" required="true" label="Email" antispam="email" tabindex="2"  />

<perch:label for="message">Message <span class="required">(required)</span></perch:label>
<perch:error for="message" type="required"><span class="required-error">Please add a message</span></perch:error>
<perch:input type="textarea" id="message" required="true" label="Message" antispam="message" tabindex="3" rows="8" />
<perch:input type="submit" class="button" id="submit" value="Send" tabindex="4" />

<perch:success>
<p class="center"><perch:content id="success" type="textarea" label="Thank you message" /></p>
</perch:success>
</perch:form>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Try changing

antispam="message"

to

antispam="body"

Ok, I've done that, republished and submitted a form and it's ended up in Spam (although it could be it's identified my test messages as Spam) Just weird, as they went through on the other hosting.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If you add debug to the page, do you get any errors?

I'll check that in the morning Drew. If I turn Akismet off in Perch and submit the form it gets through.

I think I'm on the same hosting as you for a lot of my sites, John. Everything you've done looks identical to what I do (save for the antispam="message"/"body" thing). I don't use success text though– have you tried removing that and setting the 'on success' redirection to a fresh page in the Form Options? Probably won't change anything, but I can't see any other differences between your code above and the code I use.

I'll give that a shot in the morning Martin. Thanks. All very odd indeed.

I think I see the problem.

I've been running test messages through my contact form to check it's working and I think Akismet has flagged them as being spam from my IP address. At least it shows it's doing its job properly!

If I do a test message over 3G the message gets emailed.

So not an issue with Perch. Apologies and thanks for the help.