Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Runway

Adding view page / preview link to a collections article edit page

With articles in a collection, is it possible to add a view page / preview link to the article edit page by generating a custom URL?

Adam Green

Adam Green 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

It's not currently. At the moment you only get a link if the item is in draft. The same happens with Blog. It's an oversight, and we're looking to correct it in a future update.

Thanks Drew, that would be brilliant if one could include a custom URL field for the preview link, i.e. mydomain.com/article-preview/article-slug.

I tried generating a link from the article slug in the with the perch:help tag but nothing gets output.

I can't see a link when the item is in draft - where would I find this?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You should get a preview button in both the listing and at the top of the edit page. You'll need to make sure you've set the single-item URL in the region/collection options.

Aha thanks, didn't realise I needed to set the single item URL! The preview link in draft is working now, though the article is still showing up when I list the article using perch_collection:

perch_collection('Articles', [
      'template'   =>'article-category-list.html',
      'category' => $category_slug,
      'sort'       =>'date',
      'sort-order' =>'DESC',
   ]); 

Is there a way to filter out articles that are in draft from the listing?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The draft is of the next revision of that item. It isn't a show/hide flag.

Of course, thanks! I've added a 'Publish' checkbox as the show/hide flag and filtered the output to list only published articles.

Drew, Just a quick follow up as to find out when we might expect a collections preview link / button in the non draft items? Many thanks!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It's on the list, we don't have a fixed date.