Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Forms

Google Analytics Custom Event

Hi,

I'm trying to add a custom event handler for Google Analytics onto a standard submit button, but for some reason it's not being displayed on the front end. This is the code I'm using, the onclick event is being ignored:

<perch:input type="submit" value="Newsletter signup" id="btnsubmit" class="btn btn-round btn-warning center-sm btn-sm-mg" onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Buttons', 'Free Chapter', 'Signed Up'])" />

My diagnostic report:

Perch Runway: 2.8.8, PHP: 5.6.8, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 3c688b6bbc30d36af3ac34fdd4b7b5b787fe5555 $, with PDO
Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi
Installed apps: content (2.8.8), assets (2.8.8), categories (2.8.8), perch_blog (4.6), perch_forms (1.8.3), perch_mailchimp (2.0.1), perch_twitter (3.5.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_blog', 'perch_forms', 'perch_mailchimp', 'perch_twitter' );
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /var/sites/w/whatthefoot.co.uk/public_html/perch
PERCH_CORE: /var/sites/w/whatthefoot.co.uk/public_html/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /var/sites/w/whatthefoot.co.uk/public_html/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 100M, Max POST 100M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 100M
Resource folder writeable: Yes
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /var/sites/w/www.whatthefoot.co.uk/public_html
HTTP_HOST: www.whatthefoot.co.uk
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

The full template:

<perch:form id="subscribe-form" app="perch_mailchimp" double-optin="true" send-welcome="true" role="form">

<perch:success>
        <div class="alert alert-success" role="alert">
            <p><strong>Thank you</strong> Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription</p>
        </div>
    </perch:success>

<div class="form-group">
        <perch:label for="cname" class="sr-only">First name</perch:label>
        <perch:input id="cname" type="text" mailer="FNAME" class="form-control" placeholder="First name" />
    </div>
    <div class="form-group">
        <perch:label for="lname" class="sr-only">Last name</perch:label>
        <perch:input id="lname" type="text" mailer="LNAME" class="form-control" placeholder="Last name" />
    </div>
    <div class="form-group">
        <perch:label for="cemail" class="sr-only">Email *</perch:label>
        <perch:input id="cemail" required="true" type="email" mailer="email" class="form-control" placeholder="Your E-mail *" data-validation-required-message="Please enter your email address." />
        <perch:error type="required" for="email"><p class="help-block text-danger">Your email address is required</p></perch:error>
    </div>   
    <div>
        <perch:input type="submit" value="Newsletter signup" id="btnsubmit" class="btn btn-round btn-warning center-sm btn-sm-mg" onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Buttons', 'Free Chapter', 'Signed Up'])" />
        <perch:input type="hidden" value="1" id="confirm" mailer="confirm_subscribe" />
    </div>
</perch:form>
Robin Waite

Robin Waite 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you resaved the region since changing your template?

That's what I thought we would need to do, however there isn't a region for the template which we can save.

The code which calls the template is:

<?php perch_mailchimp_form('mailchimp_form.html'); ?>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ah, of course. I was looking at the class attribute wondering why that wouldn't work, and it's the onclick attribute as you pointed out.

We don't have passthrough for those on attributes, as they're a bit old hat. Could you implement it with a data- attribute instead? Something like:

data-ga-push="['_trackEvent', 'Buttons', 'Free Chapter', 'Signed Up']"

And then attach the click handlers dynamically, e.g. for jQuery:

$('[data-ga-push').on('click', function(e){
    var me = $(e.target);
    _gaq.push(me.attr('data-ga-push'));
    return true;
});

(Along those lines - I've not tested it!)

Ah ok, the data- attribute has passed through ok, however it has encoded the apostrophes:

data-ga-push="[&#039;_trackEvent&#039;, &#039;Buttons&#039;, &#039;Free Chapter&#039;, &#039;Signed Up&#039;]"

Is there a quick way to prevent that?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Oh, yuck. Does encode="false" help here?

Unfortunately not, I've tried encode, urlencode and escape and none of them appear to make any difference.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, it looks like quotes are always escaped. That's inconvenient.

data-ga-push="_trackEvent|Buttons|Free Chapter|Signed Up"

and

_gaq.push(me.attr('data-ga-push').split('|'));

might work.

Awesome, yes, appears to be working now and no errors on the javascript so I will double check analytics over the weekend and see if the event has been successfully triggered. Many thanks for your help.