Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Hosting, Discussion

Dev Environments - Mamp Pro

Development environments are discussed in some of the Perch Podcasts so I am trying to set things right.

Using Ampps, I recently set up a local server. The URL(s) I see when working locally show the site inside the localhost folder, i.e. "localhost/mysite.com. Drew points out that setup is no different than developing inside a folder on the live website, i.e. "mysite.com/newsite". The hierarchy is still wrong it seems.

If I heard right, Mamp Pro allows you to avoid this dilemma. Server side stuff is not my strong suit, so if someone can confirm this, I plan to get Mamp and develop properly: local / staging / live.

Thank you!

Michael Griffin

Michael Griffin 0 points

• 6 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Yes MAMP Pro has a UI for setting up virtual hosts. You can do it in MAMP regular but you have to edit the config yourself, even if you know how to do that you are likely to save enough time using the Proversion to make it worthwhile.

Thank you very much for verifying that. I've heard something about Virtual Box and Vagrant from my son, but that may be outside my current scope as well. Probably best for me to go with MAMP Pro.

I am learning a lot from the Perch podcasts by the way. They are very good. I just started on them a couple of weeks ago. I'm up to episode 18!