Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Images with periods in the filename fail to upload, but no message

When uploading a file with a name with a period in it, the Assets manager accepts the file but then doesn't show it without any error messages. Also, in the Markdown editor it changes the dialog to red but no message as to why. I've had a couple clients very confused and caused excessive debugging for us.

Example filenames: Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 01.23.51.png or test.1.png

I understand why the filenames wouldn't be accepted (though still a bit odd as there ways around it), but it'd be really nice if there was a message with the reason. Are there plans to add error messages? What about documentation? It'd help with the usability of Perch a lot!

Darryl Hein

Darryl Hein 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Are your in paranoid mode?

Yes, we do. I guess that'd be the reason, though that doesn't negate not having an error message for the end user – even just something saying that the file wasn't uploaded. Is that something that will be included in v2.9?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I can't make any promises about that, but it's something I'll take a look at.

We're following OWASP recommendations for file name handling.

Thanks Drew. The validation is good and I agree with it. It's the fact that no the user isn't told anything that's a problem – it's a usability issue and confusing for users. It's also a time waster for developers.