Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Runway

Can I have a <perch:related> nested in a <perch:related> ?

I have two collections: Publications and Authors. Some Publications have multiple authors so I setup a relationship from Publications to Authors.

I'd like to add at the end of each publication a list of related hand picked publications that might interest the reader. So I setup another relationship from Publications to Publications.

And here's where I'm stuck: I can easily output the related publication's title, date, etc… but I can't figure out how to display the list of authors.

<perch:if exists="story_related">
<h2>Other stories that might interest you</h2>
<div class="stories">
    <perch:related id="story_related" collection="Publications">
    <a href="/stories/<perch:content id="story_slug" type="slug" />">
        <h3 class="article-title"><perch:content id="story_title" type="smarttext"  /></h3>
        <p class="article-author">by 
            <perch:related id="story_author" collection="Authors">
                <perch:content id="author_firstname" /> <perch:content id="author_lastname" /><perch:if id="perch_item_rev_index" match="eq" value="2"> & <perch:else /><perch:if exists="perch_item_last"><perch:else />, </perch:if></perch:if>
            </perch:related>
        </p>
    </a></div>
</perch:related>

The author name displayed is the one of the primary item and not those of the related one. Any idea?

David Roessli

David Roessli 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Does the story_author relationship show anything at all? This is unchartered.

Yes, it does. It shows the author_firstname and author_lastname of the current publication (primary item) not of the related publications.

I tried using story_related.story_author.author_firstname syntax, but nothing is displayed.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I think this is probably not possible right now.

Thanks Drew.

No problem, I'll find another way around (with a callback function or something). It was elegant to process it all in the template ;)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, I'd absolutely like to make this possible if we can do it without vanishing down the rabbit hole.