Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Navigation

Navigation.

I want to add some navigation from my website. Its based on Boostrap. This is my current navigation:

Would it be easier to have it as a template would anyone be able to give me an example of the best way to achieve this as the docs are a little confusing for a first time user.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Broley

Rob Broley 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The default nav template gives you more or less that structure.

Ok I have in my index.php:

<?php 
            perch_pages_navigation(array(
                'from-path'            => '/',
                'template'             => 'item.html'      
            ));
          ?>

In item.html

<perch:before>
    <ul class="nav navbar-nav">
</perch:before>
        <li class="active"><a href="https://www.rdbroley.me.uk/">Home</a></li>
            <li class="dropdown">
              <a href="#" class="dropdown-toggle" data-toggle="dropdown">Services</a>
              <ul class="dropdown-menu">
                <li><a href="responsive-web-design.html">Responsive Web Design</a></li>
                <li><a href="ui-ux-design.html">UI/UX Design</a></li>
                <li><a href="web-design-development.html">Web Development</a></li>
              </ul>
            </li>
            <li><a href="my-work.html">Work</a></li>
            <li><a href="mailto:mr.rdbroley@gmail.com">Contact</a></li>
<perch:after>
    </ul>
</perch:after>

But its duplicating my navigation?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You've hardcoded your navigation into the template. Take a look at the default template we ship with Perch.

Thanks Drew

By default do you mean this code?

<perch:before> <ul> </perch:before> <li<perch:if exists="current_page"> class="selected"</perch:if><perch:if exists="ancestor_page"> class="ancestor"</perch:if>> <a href="<perch:pages id="pagePath" />"><perch:pages id="pageNavText" /></a>
<perch:pages id="subitems" encode="false" /> </li> <perch:after> </ul> </perch:after>

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that's right.

Drew McLellan said:

Yes, that's right.

Thanks Drew,

Would you be able to give me an example of how to structure my navigation, and a dropdown please.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What output are you getting, and which part of it do you need to change?

Managed to get something to work using

index.php

<?php perch_pages_navigation(array(
    'template'  => 'item.html',    
    'from-path' => '/services',
)); ?>

In item.html

<perch:before>
    <div class="navbar navbar-default navbar-fixed-top" role="navigation">
      <div class="container">
        <div class="navbar-header">
          <button type="button" class="navbar-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-target=".navbar-collapse">
            <span class="sr-only">Toggle navigation</span>
            <span class="icon-bar"></span>
          </button>
          <a class="logo logo-small" href="https://www.rdbroley.me.uk/" title="Rob Broley" rel="home"></a>
        </div>
        <div class="collapse navbar-collapse">
           <ul class="nav navbar-nav">
             <li class="active"><a href="https://www.robertbroley.co.uk/">Home</a></li>
            <li class="dropdown">
                <li<perch:if exists="ancestor_page"> class="ancestor"</perch:if>> <a href="<perch:pages id="pagePath" />"><perch:pages id="pageNavText" /></a>
<perch:pages id="subitems" encode="false" /> </li> 
<perch:after> </ul> </perch:after>
           </li>
            <li><a href="my-work.html">Work</a></li>
            <li><a href="mailto:mr.rdbroley@gmail.com">Contact</a></li>
</perch:before>
<perch:after>
</div><!--/.nav-collapse -->
      </div>
    </div>
</perch:after>

It works but I am not too sure if its correct. But how do I tell perch to structure my navigation the same as the page structure shown in Perch#s backend where you organised the pages?

Thanks

Rob

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Again, you're hard coding your links into the template. The template shouldn't contain any of your links - just the markup to produce them.

Drew McLellan said:

Again, you're hard coding your links into the template. The template shouldn't contain any of your links - just the markup to produce them.

Its displaying the top navigation only. Can you tell me please what code would be required to get the dropdown menu to work.

Code so far:

<!-- Fixed navbar -->
    <div class="navbar navbar-default navbar-fixed-top" role="navigation">
      <div class="container">
        <div class="navbar-header">
          <button type="button" class="navbar-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-target=".navbar-collapse">
            <span class="sr-only">Toggle navigation</span>
          </button>
          <a class="logo logo-small" href="https://www.rdbroley.me.uk/" title="Rob Broley" rel="home"></a>
        </div>
        <div class="collapse navbar-collapse">
            <?php perch_pages_navigation(array(
    'levels'    => 1,
)); ?>
        </div><!--/.nav-collapse -->
      </div>
    </div>

And then I have the default code

<perch:before> <ul class="nav navbar-nav"> </perch:before> 

<li<perch:if exists="current_page"> class="selected"</perch:if><perch:if exists="ancestor_page"> class="ancestor"</perch:if>> <a href="<perch:pages id="pagePath" />"><perch:pages id="pageNavText" /></a>
<perch:pages id="subitems" encode="false" /> </li> <perch:after> </ul> </perch:after>
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

With 'levels'=>1 you're only outputting the first level of navigation. Presumably the drop down contains the second level - so you'll need to set that to at least 2

I added level 2 but it messes the navigation up as the structure is not out putted correctly.

Would I need to put any other tags in the index.php as I've tried /services for the path too and nothing happens. Only other option would be to alter the item.html but I'm not too sure what the codes doing to alter it.

Or would you recommend a second nav template ?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

the structure is not out putted correctly.

What output are you getting, and what should it be?

Now the static code for the dropdown in bootstrap is

<li><a href="responsive-web-design.html">Responsive Web Design</a></li>
                <li><a href="ui-ux-design.html">UI/UX Design</a></li>
                <li><a href="web-design-development.html">Web Development</a></li>
              </ul>

So I have the dropdown working using

<perch:before> <ul class="nav navbar-nav"> </perch:before> 

<li<perch:if exists="current_page"> class="selected"</perch:if><perch:if exists="ancestor_page"> class="ancestor"</perch:if>> <a href="<perch:pages id="pagePath" />"><perch:pages id="pageNavText" /></a>

<perch:before> <li class="dropdown">
              <ul class="dropdown-menu"> </perch:before>

<li<perch:if exists="current_page"> class="selected"</perch:if><perch:if exists="ancestor_page"> class="ancestor"</perch:if>> <a href="<perch:pages id="pagePath" />"><perch:pages id="pageNavText" /></a></li>

But it has put all my page into the dropdown. As the Blog page is a top level page.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Can you clarify what you mean by "all my page"? Do you mean all following markup is being added to the drop down? If so, that sounds like broken markup.