Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Batch create / import Content

I would like to suggest some basic import / batch functionality for content into existing perch sites.

What:

• It doesn't need to be a full fledged 1-click-importer
  • Could be limited to "enterprise level" use with Perch Runway / Collections.
  • An documented API function to batch create (/manipulate) content in perch2_content_items would be sufficient (and maybe even more powerful than a GUI)

Why:

• One use case is here https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/07-02-2014-importing-a-lot-of-products . Another one: A client has a large archive of shows he would like to integrate into his website, along with already existing content.

• In other CMSes, one would create a separate table for such content and do regular MySQL imports. But for Perch you've been recommending using perch:content for all kinds data (instead of blog, e.g.). So everything goes into that one perch2_content_items table. Which makes sense to me! But I think it would be a good thing to be able to manipulate that content programmatically as an integrator.

• Main argument: Unlike other applications that swallow your content and never spit it out again, Perch works the other way round. It will print out any data in any format freely, which is one of its major advantages. On the other side, it's (yet) quite closed: most content has to be entered via the backend manually. It would be nice if Perch would be open on both sides.

Thanks and cheers Urs

Urs Bräm

Urs Bräm 1 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Would it be acceptable to supply a template with which to import the data?

Of course! Anything that would help an advanced integrator do it.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Ok, great. I'll give it some thought.

Hello,

Sorry to jump on to an old thread, but did anything come of this?

Thanks, Matt.

In the latest podcast Drew mentioned a new collections import API which looks like it would do the trick, which is coming in Perch Runway v3.