Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Image Thumbnails Not Being Generated

Hi,

We recently moved Perch onto a new server - everything seems to be working correctly but image thumbnails aren't being generated when uploading assets. I've attached a diagnostic report below:

Perch: 2.8.31, PHP: 7.0.9, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: 241ae00989d1995ffcbbf63d579943635faf9972 $, with PDO
Server OS: WINNT, apache2handler
Installed apps: content (2.8.31), assets (2.8.31), categories (2.8.31), perch_blog (4.6), perch_events (1.9.2), perch_forms (1.8.3), perch_gallery (2.8), perch_twitter (3.3.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'perch_blog', 'perch_forms', 'perch_gallery', 'perch_twitter', 'perch_events', 'categories' ); ?>
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: E:\Sites\hpoolsfc\www\perch
PERCH_CORE: E:\Sites\hpoolsfc\www\perch\core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: E:/Sites/hpoolsfc/www/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 30M, Max POST 32M, Memory: 256M, Total max file upload: 30M
F1: 2edba60ed1f613d6dd804feb202456a2
Resource folder writeable: Yes
HTTP_HOST: hpoolsfc.ac.uk
DOCUMENT_ROOT: E:/Sites/hpoolsfc/www/
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

The image gets uploaded into the resources folder but has no thumbnail alongside it. As far as I can see everything should be working correctly - the only difference between this and the last server is the php version. Any help would be appreciated.

Alan Longstaff

Alan Longstaff 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you get anything reported in the server error log?

I've had a look at all of the logs I can see but there's nothing out of the ordinary. The server is Server 2012 rather than the old 2008 (if that makes a difference). It's just strange that the image actually gets uploaded and is usable but no thumbnails are created alongside.

Is there some way of specifying an account that perch uses to upload files? I've noticed that images uploaded on the old server have our local admin account as owner but all new images uploaded have the Administrators group instead

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I imagine that's something that is done in the server configuration, but I don't know too much about Windows.

Is it just the original file that ends up in the resources folder?

Yep just the original file. Happens from the assets app and image uploads in any templates

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

How large or complex are these files? Does it work if you upload a small image? If thumbnails aren't being generated then GD isn't processing the image for some reason.

I've only tried small images - the one I was trying to upload yesterday was 20kb

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Can we see the template being used to generate the image sizes?

It sounds as if this is a server configuration issue unless there is anything obvious in your template.

Just an update; we're using GD for image manipulation on the new server rather than Image Magick as used on the old one - I had a look in the extended diagnostic report and I still had Image Magick set for PERCH_IMAGE_LIB. Removed the line and it started working again.

Interestingly the report at the top of this thread says GD is being used for image manipulation, even though PERCH_IMAGE_LIB in the extended report said it was imagick - shouldn't these be the same?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The report states that GD is available for image manipulation. If you look at the extended report, you can see which value you have set for PERCH_IMAGE_LIB.

Ah right that makes sense, thanks Drew