Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Can an app "setting" be an image field type?

I know the answer currently is No (as of 2.6.3). Wondering if the image field type could be added to /perch/core/settings/modes/_app_settings_post.php.

The use case is I'm adding features to a "Meta" app and want an editor to be able to set a global default Open Graph image.

Thanks for your consideration!

Kirk Roberts

Kirk Roberts 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Would it not be better to add that as part of your app?

Why does any app have settings on the Settings page rather than as "part of the app"?

In this case there is no app interface, it's all done through Page Details and template includes. The "app" is hidden. So I'd have to set up a Shared Region, which would be clutter in the Pages list, seldom if ever accessed beyond the initial setting.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The distinction tends to be if what's being editing is content or mechanics. Is it to do with how the site works, or what the site is used for? An image sounds more like content, hence my suggestion. A path setting, for example, would be mechanics.

The settings page doesn't use field types, so adding an image isn't an option and isn't likely to be one any time soon.

Okay, thanks for your response. It's interesting to hear how you think about how things are set up.