Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Images disappearing (deleted) for unknown reason

I've almost finished my first Perch build, a little store using the Paypal Shop App, blog, members and other things. Working 99% awesome. The dev site is ready to hand over to the owner so she can add real content to replace the test content.

But I can't hand over while this mysterious image deletion / clean-up process is claiming the life of innocent product JPEGs, seemingly at random, at odd times. I can't replicate the issue on demand. Things might be fine for a week, then another image bites the dust for no apparent reason.

I have not been messing with the assets at all manually on the server, or doing anything out of the ordinary.

The asset clearing process is removing product images that are published and live on the site, leaving broken image holes on homepage slideshows, feature areas and on the product details pages.

If my only hope for now is a workaround, I'll take it. Can someone please remind me how to make a permanent config change to keep images as library assets? I recall reading a post on this forum weeks ago when I first had the trouble, but can't find it.

I like the idea of Perch cleaning up unused assets, but there's obviously a glitch where it sometimes cleans assets still in use. Perhaps it's a Paypal Shop App thing. I do look forward to using the new shop app for a future build, but for now just want to wrap this one up.

Here's my health check if that helps.

Health check

Perch is up to date
    PHP 5.5.27 is up to date
    MySQL 5.6.23 is up to date
    Image processing available

Summary information

Perch: 2.8.13, PHP: 5.5.27, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 15d5c781cfcad91193dceae1d2cdd127674ddb3e $, with PDO
    Server OS: Linux, litespeed
    Installed apps: content (2.8.13), assets (2.8.13), categories (2.8.13), perch_blog (4.6), perch_shop_paypal (1.2.3), perch_members (1.3)
    App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_members', 'perch_blog', 'perch_shop_paypal' );
    PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
    PERCH_PATH: /home/sophiean/public_html/dev/perch
    PERCH_CORE: /home/sophiean/public_html/dev/perch/core
    PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /home/sophiean/public_html/dev/perch/resources
    Image manipulation: GD
    PHP limits: Max upload 32M, Max POST 8M, Memory: 64M, Total max file upload: 8M
    Resource folder writeable: Yes
    HTTP_HOST: dev.sophie-anna.com
    DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/sophiean/public_html/dev
    REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
    SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php
P K

P K 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Is it only images from the PayPal app that go?

P K

P K 0 points

Yes, I can't recall any non product images disappearing. There's only about 12 images in total in assets anyway, less now since 3 or 4 product images have vanished in last few days. I haven't bothered re-uploading them.

I wonder if it has something to do with editing and uploading new versions of product.php as I work on unrelated aspects of that template? Perhaps the simple action of overwriting this template with new versions somehow triggers the clean-up process. I can't imagine how, I'm just guessing.

Here's a screen grab of the product edit page, see the first two images have vanished, but oddly the 3rd survived. All 3 images were similar jpegs - less than 100K each, all uploaded the same way, all published on product page.

product

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Can you confirm that you have made no changes to Perch Core or to the App itself?

P K

P K 0 points

No changes to core or the app. For the purposes of smooth and easy upgrading, I have no intention of modifying anything in those folders, haven't seen the need to.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Ok, probably the best thing to do is turn off image clean up until we can investigate and determine a cause.

P K

P K 0 points

How do I turn off image clean-up? (that's actually what I was asking in first post, but may not have been clear enough).

P K

P K 0 points