Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Error

Sorry, your license key isn't valid for this domain.

I downloaded v2 to upgrade an old client's site locally and it won't let me log in. I see this message:

Sorry, your license key isn't valid for this domain. Log into your Perch account and add the following as your live or testing domain: localhost

The thing is, I've already done this.

Dan T

Dan T 0 points

• 2 years ago

Maybe you could look into perch/config/config.php, check your license key and check if your database settings are setup properly.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Which version of Perch are you running? If you're using an old copy of Perch on a newer version of PHP then you'd see this message.

Dan T

Dan T 0 points

Mike: I checked that file and it's correct.

Drew: I was on v2, but I tried v3 and it's still happening with MAMP.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You have one Perch 2 license, which is only configured for the live domain.

You also have a Perch 1 license, but that will only work with Perch 1, not 2 or 3.

Dan T

Dan T 0 points

OK I think this kind of thing needs to be clearer for those not using Perch regularly.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Sorry, which part should be clearer?

Dan T

Dan T 0 points

I wasn't aware that I needed to buy another licence to use v2 or v3.

When I check the Licence, I can't see which version it's for. Plus, there's nothing to say that the Development Domain shouldn't work.

Why can I not use v2 locally? It looks like it should be set up with localhost.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I wasn't aware that I needed to buy another licence to use v2 or v3.

Back in 2012 you could've purchased an upgrade from v1 to v2, but that hasn't been offered for some years now.

When I check the Licence, I can't see which version it's for.

The first 2 characters of the license key tell you which version it's for. P1, P2 and P3 are Perch 1, 2 and 3. R2 and R3 are Perch Runway 2 and 3.

Plus, there's nothing to say that the Development Domain shouldn't work.

It will work.

Why can I not use v2 locally? It looks like it should be set up with localhost.

You can use v2 locally.

Dan T

Dan T 0 points

OK, there are some basic UX issues here. You can't just assume people will understand. I've noticed this attitude in the Docs as well - glossing over important details and making you work for the information.

Versions need to be more obvious on the Licence page - hiding it in the Key isn't good UX.

Just saying "It will work" and "You can use v2 locally" is a good example of this lack of information and attitude throughout the site. You're not explaining anything or supplying a link to anywhere.

You clearly need to hire some support staff for the forum if it's too much to handle.

I will be moving my clients' sites away from Perch to a different CMS and adding new clients there.