Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Suggestions

Disable Assets

Hi Guys,

is there any possibility to disable the new "assets" feature and use filemanagement the "old fashioned way"?

Thanks for your help.

Manuel Hügel

Manuel Hügel 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There's not. What's your use case?

I got to define some background images and stuff that i dont want to be seen for editors. I like the assets feature in genereal, but i think the "old way" is much quicker in some cases. It would be great if it would be possible to disable assets for individual image-tags.

Actually, I also felt that way (but didn't want to spoil the party). The "old way" is more Perch like: structured content, so put your asset in and there you go. No need to organize files on the server for editors.

A use case: any region where the image is not to be reused afterwards or uploaded beforehand. Like a news post. "Old way": click upload, browse, save. "New way": open assets, click uploade, browse, choose file in assets, save

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

But where assets are reused (which is way more common than we thought it would be) you end up with duplicates without them being centrally managed. And a content management system's job is to manage content.

Actually, in my "other CMS", there are two buttons: direct upload, and go to asset browser (yeah, the quirky one with the pop up windows). That's un-perchy again though.

Ok, maybe this could be a simplification: upload and use. Along the two other buttons: "Add asset" "Use selected" a third button "Add and use Asset" - so this would save time and "don't make me think" energy to the editor.