Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions, Events

Adding locations table to Events app

I'm running the Events app, but I also need to store a table of locations for those events in the db. Where should I start?

I actually want a separate table to store locations (with other data like latlong, phone number, etc) so they can be attached to events as well as independent for listings, and not just added with a new event.

Thanks!

Mat Ranson

Mat Ranson 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Could you use a dataselect to associate the two?

Thanks Drew. Before that how would I go about adding an extra db table in Perch (that is not locked to Events)?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

For what purpose?

Essentially is would be a 'Places' table that would be used independently to list places that hold events, but also cross-linked with Events themselves.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Why not use a content region for that?

Wouldn't that restrict me to only adding Location data with an Event? Or you mean just build a simple page with inputs for Locations, then when adding an Event use a dataselect for the Location?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that's what I meant.

But if you want to manage the content yourself, you could use our API to build an app with its own database tables.

OK, thanks Drew. I'll opt for the simple page :)

So, the build of this is going fine so far.

Now I have a related question. I have 7 or 8 Locations categories set up in the (new) Categories App. It seems dataselect only works when pulling in data from a region on a page?

Is it possible to use dataselect to pull categories from the Categories app?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You'd use a basic <perch:categories> tag pair for that.

Got it. Thanks Drew.