Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions

ordering pages by where they feature in admin

Hi

I have a site which have various case studies. There is a main case study page and then the case study pages.

The main case study page uses perch_content_custom to pull that projects main image and title from a region. They are arranged in alphabetical order at the moment but I would like to be able to arrange them by most important case studies or whatever order I make them in the future is there a way to do this?

<?php
perch_content_custom('Project Title Thumb', array(
'page'=>'/brands/marketing/*',
'template'=>'project_list.html',
)); 
?>

If not is there a solution to do this which means the client doesn't have to enter the case studies into a region on the main case studies page?

Thanks

Peter Meenagh

Peter Meenagh 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You can add a field to the regions and order by that, but you don't have any context of a page to order by at this point.

Will there be an order by page listing in the future?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Never say never, but I don't think it's likely. Your architecture is backwards - normally you'd have a list of items which you'd pull out individually into pages. Here you have pages of items which you're trying to pull together into a listing, which is the opposite of how it should be done.

Ah ok. I know it can be done by adding an image to page details and then using perch navigation to pull the order of the pages in but that means the user having to enter an image in another location other than regions and generally users seem to get confused when there are more than a couple of steps involved in adding info.

Would be great to see the order page listing added but understand your reasoning for not adding it.

Thanks.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

I realise it might not be a viable solution if you've already done the work, or if there are a lot of Case Studies, but using the List and Detail method to enter Case Studies, would enable you to order them in the way they are listed in admin.

https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/content/functions/two-page-list-and-detail/

Thanks Simon. I think I've used this before but might be worth a try again. Does it give you control over SEO on each of those "detail pages"

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi Peter, I presume you mean meta description etc? Yes, it can do. I have this website set up in this way: https://www.reis-design.co.uk/work/ You'd need a field for each of the SEO bits, you can then call them into the head using perch_content_custom.

Yes sorry. Great thanks Simon will give this a try again.