Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions, Events

Dynamic multi-checkbox filter of events database

I'm looking for guidance on best practices of Perch to build an event search site. I've sampled the Events app (which has categories) and messed around with Categories in 2.6 (which allows for sets of categories) and I'm wondering which would be best for what I'm trying to achieve.

I have a database of hundreds of events. I want user to be able to click checkboxes to dynamically filter the event list to only show records that match one (or more) of the selected checkboxes. I have four groups (Sets) I would like to filter by. Month (a checkbox for each month of the year), State (a checkbox for each of the 50 US states), and a couple other ones with only 2 or 3 options.

A few questions: How can I tie a category to each checkbox? Can I upload all my events via a database tool or would I have to hand-enter each one? Is Ajax possible, or will I need to refresh the page every time a filter is added/removed? Am I asking too much of Categories?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Jeremy Smith

Jeremy Smith 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

How can I tie a category to each checkbox?

You'd set the value of the checkbox to be the name of the category. When the form is submitted, you'd know which categories were selected.

Can I upload all my events via a database tool or would I have to hand-enter each one?

We don't currently have any bulk import tools, but it's something I'm seeing requested increasingly.

Is Ajax possible, or will I need to refresh the page every time a filter is added/removed?

Perch doesn't care (in a positive way) how your front end is built. Ajax is fine.

Am I asking too much of Categories?

No, it sounds pretty basic.