Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Shop

Shop Shipping Address

Hi,

Just wanted to ask a question about how shipping addresses work with Perch Shop.

I've tried out the Perch demo shop, and after signing up as a customer and purchasing a t-shirt, it never asked for an address, even with standard shipping selected. I then went into the admin section under orders , and the order is there with shipping method: standard shipping, but nowhere can I see where an address would be displayed...

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Alex Bennett

Alex Bennett 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

How you collect the information is really up to how you've built your shop. If you need an address, you'd put that as a step in your checkout flow.

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your reply. I do see what you're saying, and agree that not everything requires shipping, hence a good reason for it not being there by default.

My question is more if you have an example of the Perch shop where shipping is used on a product and how that is integrated. I went onto the demo shop to have a look at an example of the shop flow, like you mention, but was hoping to see where the address fields were placed for an item that needs shipping, and was surprised I could order a T-Shirt and choose 'standard shipping', but then it offered no fields for me to enter address and just displayed the success message straightaway. As a result, I realised that the files for this would be no good as a reference for a checkout flow with shipping.

Can I ask, when an address is saved at checkout, does this get outputted just under individual orders, or to logged in customers (as long as the tags to output are there)? Or can addresses also be outputted to individuals in the members app?

Thanks, Alex

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Members is used for user authentication. All shop data is saved against a Customer, which as a Member account associated with it.

When you ask where it's output, are you asking about the control panel, or how you design your site? The latter is really up to you.

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

Can I ask, when an address is saved at checkout, does this get outputted just under individual orders, or to logged in customers (as long as the tags to output are there)?

On your website, the address doesn't get outputted. You can choose to display it.

If a customer is logged in, you can display a list of their addresses with the perch_shop_customer_addresses() function. It is also possible to output the address details for individual orders like Rachel explains here

As for the registration/checkout flow, it is up to you to determine when the customer should enter their addresses. For example, you can choose to require the customer add their addresses during registration.

Check out the examples in the docs:

It might be helpful to have a look at the default Shop templates:

• templates/shop/checkout/customer_create.html
  • templates/shop/addresses/

Thanks Hussein - what I was trying to figure was whether the addresses get outputted anywhere in the control panel, just fro shop administrators.

When you say you can choose to display it, did you mean in the perch control panel? I'm trying to work out how as a shop administrator, when an order comes through, should you be seeing the address to send it to under that order? I guess that would make sense based on what Drew says above about being saved under a customer with a member account associated. I know my client would like to collect some information on customers (with their permission of course) so we are trying to see where it can be taken from, whether that's the member accounts, or if we need to refer to individual orders.

The perch_shop_customer_addresses() function makes sense - I think I saw that before, and I can see how that can be used on a profile page for customers logged in.

Thanks for your help

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

When you say you can choose to display it, did you mean in the perch control panel?

I meant on your public-facing website.

I'm trying to work out how as a shop administrator, when an order comes through, should you be seeing the address to send it to under that order?

In the control panel, under each order you can see both the billing and delivery addresses for that order.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Hussein - yes that's definitely useful to know! Sometimes when your trying to build it, it's good to now what to expect...

We're still trying to get the checkout flow working, since we have a bug regarding shipping but that concerns another thread. Thanks again