Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Field-Types

MP4 download files

I am trying to create a link in each blog post so that people can download MP4 files. I have used the type="file" but when uploading the MP4 in perch it fails to save to the Bucket.... What am i doing wrong ?

Timothy Rackham

Timothy Rackham 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

In what way is it failing?

not sure how to fix it ? it the file type a standard field type or do I have to install an add on like I had to for youtube...

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I just need to know what you're seeing.

I am seeing the field type make the option to upload a file in perch and when I go to upload a MP4 it uploads and then doesn't present the MP4 is the assets list to select.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Have you filtered the assets list at all? There should be a section for audio files.

The filter shows nothing. it appears to fail uploading to assets.

Hi Timothy,

I have found when this happens that it is usually to do with the file size, and PHP running out of memory or not having high enough limits set. If you look in your PHP error log you might find something like this:

[01-Oct-2016 10:25:59 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/yoursite/public_html/admin/core/lib/PerchImage.class.php on line 560

If that is the case you need to increase your PHP limits. You can see what they are set at in Diagnostics in Perch:

PHP limits: Max upload 64M, Max POST 64M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 64M

Just a thought, and may not be the issue you are having, but worth a look

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Does the file appear on the file system?

where do I find the php error? and how do I get to these Diagnostic settings?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The diagnostics report is under Settings.

and how do I change the file limit ? can't seem to find the code ....

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Which file limit? I'm not sure what you're asking.

To help troubleshoot, I'd like to know if the file makes it onto the file system at the destination. i.e. is it a problem with uploading, or a problem with recalling the file.

I have gone to settings > diagnostics in perch but not sure what I am looking for..

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

To help troubleshoot, I'd like to know if the file makes it onto the file system at the destination. i.e. is it a problem with uploading, or a problem with recalling the file.

Can you give me instruction has to what to do and what to copy and paste for you to see.... I have never felt with the diagnostics on perch before.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

When you upload a file, does the file end up in your resource bucket if you look at the folder on disk? That's all I'm asking.

Right no it's hasn't upload in into the resource bucket on the disk

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

How big is the file you're trying to upload?

The files will vary and could be in the future a couple of GB, how do I change the file size limit ?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You'd change that in your PHP settings - usually in the php.ini file.