Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Error

Repeated Region Error

I use repeated regions (love them!) on many pages of my site, but recently I’ve been experiencing "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes)…”, but the information I’m attempting to upload has worked in the past, is very small in size, and I would assume the information I’m attempting to save would be under the 90mb my web host provides.

One of the repeated regions that recently stopped working due to this issue consist of a single repeated region with nine instances. Each instance includes three text inputs with a single word entry and a single picture. Note that the total size for all the images combined is only 104kb. This would mean that the three text inputs in the nine repeated regions instances would equate for 94,267kb, but this doesn’t seem correct.

I understand that memory fatal errors are usually an issue with web host limitations, but it appears that repeated regions are greatly inflating the data for some reason when you “save changes.”

Is there any troubleshooting steps we can take to make sure repeated regions are functioning correctly?

Also, how much memory does a normal Perch regions use when saved?

Ryan McGuire

Ryan McGuire 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Could you post your Diagnostics Report?

Just emailed it to support@grabaperch.com.

This issue seems to definitely be related to repeated regions that include images because if I reconfigure my template not to include a repeated region and use "allow multiple" when connecting my template to the content tag I'm able to upload all nine entries, including the pictures, all on a single Perch page.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If you switch the region to not 'edit all on one page' from the options, does that help?

The error is with "repeated regions" and I don't see an option to "edit all on one page."

My bandaid fix was to remove the repeated region and configure a standard region that I allow multiple.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

By repeated region, do you mean a multiple item region? It is a standard region, just configured to allow multiple items.

In Region Options, there's a checkbox that says "Edit all on one page" for any region that is set to allow multiple items (another one of the checkboxes).

I'm having issues with the perch:repeater.

If you use this feature with images it causes an excess amount of memory use and is unable to load content to the database.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You're using Repeaters? Ok. It would have saved some time to know.

How many total fields do you have on the page?

The repeater element includes three text input fields and one image upload field. I used the "+ Add Another" button to add nine instances for a total 36 elements on the page.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

And are you uploading multiple images at s time?

No. Just a single image at a time, but the interesting thing is that ever time you save it appears that Perch is uploading all the images that were previously added in different repeater instances. Note that I could just hit save changes without adding or changing any of the existing repeater content and the memory error will occur.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That shouldn't be happening. I'll run some tests.

Thank you. Let me know if you want to schedule a quick call so I can grant you access to my Perch configuration to see it in action.

Any updates on this issue? It's causing a lot of pain for my customer.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

This is on my list to look at, but I can't say when that will happen.