Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration

Move record to another region?

This seems to be a simple question but I'm not sure if it can be done, or how best to do it. I have set up a site for a client and there are about 25 regions that define a range of products. Each region has about 30-40 product records.

They have decided they want to move a bunch of existing product records from one region to another. This is just for logical reasons - they can be called up from anywhere to display on the site, but they want the structure in the backend to be more intuitive.

Obviously we can just delete and recreate the records, but is there any way to "reassign" a region?

Alan Coggins

Alan Coggins 0 points

• 2 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There's no way to move an item from one multiple item region to another. I think that's the question! Let me know if not.

Yep - that's the question. Thanks Drew. I was looking at the records in the database and saw a region ID number in there and thought maybe I could edit that, but I suspect it may just end up making a mess. I'll tell them they need to delete those records and recreate in the new region.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If you've have 40 items in a multiple item region, you might want to think medium-term about upgrading to Runway and using Collections.

Yes, they are putting a lot more products in than I first thought when I set it up. Is it possible to migrate a site from Perch to Runway relatively easily? I've only used Perch so far, so it would be a new learning curve for me.

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

Hey Alan,

There's a guide in the docs explaining how you can upgrade to Runway: https://docs.grabaperch.com/runway/getting-started/upgrading-perch-to-runway/

Also, after you upgrade you can import your multiple item region into a Collection via the control panel.

Thanks Hussein! I have a feeling I may need to be trying this out soon. :-) Cheers, Alan

One more question please... I have just been discussing this with my client. He has plans down the track to add sheet music to the site and he thinks that could end up being a whole lot of records. Maybe eventually getting up around a thousand or more.

Is there any limit to the number of records that Runway can comfortably handle?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, there's not a fixed limit on the number of records.

Thanks Drew. Looks like Runway is going to be the upgrade path when the time comes.