Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Forms

Perch Form to Send Email

I have a contact form made with perch:forms. I had gone to admin > settings > email and received an email successfully. Went into forms > contact > form options, checking "Send response via email" and supplying the same email as used in the previous test. I am not receiving any mail.

I believe I'm using the field brackets correctly, however would an incorrect bracket result in a failure to send/receive the email?

I had found the thread: contact-form-results-can-they-be-emailed-to-the-client The problem here just seemed to be checking the send email box?

Nicholas Nelson

Nicholas Nelson 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Are you setting a 'from' address dynamically?

Hmm here is what I have:

Email address(es) : me@myemail.com

Email subject line : {subject}

Send from : {firstname} {lastname}

Send from address : {email}

Email introduction text : (blank)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Is the server responsible for handling email for the address entered in {email} ?

If not, the message will look a lot like spam and probably won't get through.

I'm sorry Drew, I'm lost on your question.

Send from address : {email} should be the email address of the visitor wanting to contact the site owner, correct?

Should I not be more concerned with the server's interaction with Email address(es) : me@myemail.com?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

If the from address is the address of the person completing the form, that address is not linked to the sending server. So it may look like spam.

Alright. Is this an issue I should contact the host about?

Thanks for your time!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Not really, it's more a fact of life. If I sent an email from my computer, through my email account with my From address set as your email address, that email would likely get caught as spam. That's because my email server isn't set up to handle email for your email address - it's set up for my email addresses.

By setting Send from address : {email} you're basically doing the same thing. The server you're sending from (your web server) isn't authorised to send email for every email address that could ever be entered into your form. The truth is that the email isn't from that user. It's from your website.

I'm sorry, I'm still not getting it. Am I doing something wrong with the Form Options? Is this not the way it was designed to work?

Should I instead do something like the following?

Email address(es) : me@mysite.com
Email subject line : {subject}
Send from : {firstname} {lastname}
Send from address : me@mysite.com
Email introduction text : This message is from {email}...
Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That's right.

Could one do something like this to also send a confirmation of form submission to the submitter?

Email Address(es) : {email}, admin@site.com
Email Subject Line: Signup Confirmation
Send from : Admin Name
Send rom address : no-reply@site.com
etc…