Forum

Thread tagged as: Configuration, Suggestions, Runway

Bare-minimum core/app download?

Hello!

First and foremost: I love Perch! It’s the best CMS for custom built websites that need to be fast and easy to maintain!

I’ve built two websites with Perch so far. For a more complex project, I’m using Perch Runway for the first time (collections!), and I’m also using the Blog and Events app extensively for the first time.

This is a project with a living style guide, which was built in advance. I knew I would use all-custom templates, markup already done. Because Perch core, as well as events and blog all use a certain master template (e.G. post.html, event.html, also category.html etc.), I was often confused which files I could delete and which I needed for Perch to work. I wanted to have all the functionality that comes with the apps, but without all the template files (that I eventually removed or merged).

Long story short: I was thinking that it would be nice to have a „bare-minimum“ download for Perch Runway and its apps. My idea was that these downloads would ship with only the needed master template files in the corresponding template folder, without any HTML tags, only the commented Perch tags.

This would offer the same back end functionality, but without the extra weight of different templates (albeit little compared to other CMSs). I see this as a possible alternative download for Runway, where users mostly aren’t beginners and don’t need predefined markup to begin with.

Of course, this download would have to be maintained, which is a lot of work. Still, I’m curious if this would be helpful for other people as well.

Best wishes, Jannis

Jannis Borgers

Jannis Borgers 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If a template isn't used, it's just a tiny file on disk. It doesn't add any extra 'weight' or affect performance - most are just a few bytes.

Oh, I don’t mean weight in the sense of disk space, but unnecessary files and clutter. The documentation often doesn’t give a detailed explanation why the template files are there and what they’re used for. Is the master template the only one necessary for an app to work? If that is so, I could of course delete all the other template files.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, the master template is the only one you need for things to work.

Okay, that probably solves my whole problem. Thanks, Drew!