Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

How do I transfer a license from the previous owner?

I'm working on a site that another developer created. The site is running on v2 and has been moved to a new domain, which means we get the "Sorry, your license key isn't valid for this domain" error when trying to log in to the admin area.

I understand that the license needs to be updated to work with the new domain. However, I didn't purchase the license -- the previous developer did -- and I have no way of getting a hold of him (he apparently no longer works for the company that created the site).

I have the license key, since I have access to the "config.php" file. Is there any process for getting ownership of the license when the original purchaser is gone?

Jason Morehead

Jason Morehead 0 points

• 2 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

We can only change a license on instruction from the person who bought is, as they're our customer. If you can't get the customer to instruct us to transfer the license, then you'll need to replace it with one you do control.

OK, so it looks like our only option is to buy a new license. However, one more question: as I mentioned before, the site currently runs on v2.2.11, which I realize is a pretty old version. However, the site in question is only used for some archival purposes. Even though upgrading to the latest version would be ideal, it's simply not feasible at this point in time.

So here's my question: If we buy a new license, can we use the new license's key with the existing v2 installation? Or do we have to upgrade the site to v3 in order to use the new license's key?

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi, You can use the new licence with the v2 version.