Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Images in bucket marked AWOL

Howdy

I have a client with a huge site with a huge amount of images. Dealing with any asset is a nightmare as Perch waits ages to display the images. So, I moved all the gallery items in to separate folders, and the page header images (that the user selects in the content region) in to a separate bucket. This did seem to speed things up a bit.

So, I have to add a new section to the site, and I did the same as before by adding a new bucket for the images they will select. All works ok, and the images are uploaded to the bucket no problem. However, they don't appear anywhere in Perch for the user to select them. I had a look in the resources table and the new uploaded images are marked as AWOL. So, I changed the 1 to a 0 in the AWOL column but they still don't appear for the user to select. So, the images uploaded to the right place no problem, but you just can't see them anywhere to select.

Is there anything else I can try? What makes them be set to AWOL in the first place?

I am running 2.8.7 which I know is not the latest, but upgrading this site takes a whole day (no joke!) because of it's size. What is weird is that when I did it for the page headers doing the same thing, everything worked with no issues. Is there something obvious I've forgotten?

Thanks, Michael

Michael Wilkinson

Michael Wilkinson 6 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Dealing with any asset is a nightmare as Perch waits ages to display the images.

Could you expand on that a bit? It doesn't sound right!

upgrading this site takes a whole day (no joke!) because of it's size.

!! Something's not right here.

How are you moving the images?

Michael Wilkinson

Registered Developer

Hi Drew

Ha, I didn't mean to throw anyone in to a panic or sound moany! I love everything about Perch so please don't read it that way. It's more the fault of the client with their millions of images!

It does wait ages yes, when clicking Assets. I get the spinning icon that can take up 30 minutes before assets appear. I just put it down to the insane amount of images. There are also hundreds of PDF's as part of it. I get the same thing in a content region as well when the assets window slides out from the right. Moving loads of things in to separate buckets really did help, but I tell them not to clear the bucket filter.

It takes all day to upgrade because the web server runs out of memory when doing a Perch update. So, I have to download everything locally (approx 7gb), perform the upgrade locally, then re-deploy. It's a very active site so it's all done out of hours too. (note - we always do it locally anyway, not just run it straight on a live site!)

I have purchased the Runway upgrade for this, but it's getting the time to port it all that's just holding it up. It will be done though.

I have just managed to solve the issue however. I looked in the database tables and noticed the bucket name had been truncated, so obviously having a bucket name more than 16 characters is a big no no! Hope that bit helps out anyone else who might have the same thing.

Thanks for the prompt reply Drew and sorry again if it came over the wrong way!

Cheers, Michael

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The list of assets should be almost instantaneous. Even with millions of rows, a correctly functioning MySQL database shouldn't flinch at returning 30 items.

So this is either something wrong with your server (maybe it's under resourced, or there's some table or disk corruption issues), or there's something daft we're doing (like a missing index) that is only becoming a problem at scale.

Either way it should be solvable. Fetching 30 items should take milliseconds.

Michael Wilkinson

Registered Developer

Ok Drew, thanks for the info. When this site first went live, it was pre-assets so maybe as it's been upgraded over time, it's just creaked at the sides maybe?

When it's ported to Runway, it'll be a good opportunity to have a good sort out.

The good thing, is the site itself is lightening fast.

Thanks again for your help.