Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Field-Types

Dataselect query/issue?

I've been trying to get the dataselect field type to work on a client site to pull in testimonials from a pre-defined page. However it does not seem to be working. I've defined the page I want to draw testimonials from but when I use the template I've created containing the dataselect field I get a region with 'Item 1' and no ability to add, choose or edit.

Any thoughts why this might be happening?

Code am using posted up at

Cole Henley

Cole Henley 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Does it work with one of the elemental field types like testimonial_author ?

Yes, it works as expected with testimonial_author. Just noticed that if testimonial_body is chosen the form/page display is truncated at/after <div class="field-wrap">

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Sounds like some upgrades to the dataselect field type are required then. Leave it with us.

Many thanks Drew

Hi Drew

Cole is out of the office today, I was wondering if you could give us an idea of timescale for this upgrade? Or, if there was a workaround to get the same functionality?

Had a look into this and identified the source of the problem but cannot see a solution. The error occurs at line 305 of /perch/core/apps/content/modes/edit.form.post.php:

echo $FieldType->render_inputs($item);

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Cole

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'll look at it for the next update - I don't have an ETA.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

This isn't something I'm going to be able to change with how the dataselect type works.

Does this mean that this particular issue isn't going to be fixable?

Cheers,

Cole

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Dataselect can't work that way architecturally. If I change it, it'll break every existing use of dataselect, which isn't an option.

I think the related field type would work for this, although we'll likely supersede that with a better solution before too long.