Forum

Thread tagged as: Forms

How to 'submit' form

Hi there,

I'm using the newly released Forms app (great timing by the way, seems to be the perfect solution for the contact form I'm looking to build).

I've copied the example contact form shown here and tweaked a little, adding a telephone input.

I can't seem to get it to register in Perch's Forms App interface. I've tried adding it into its own folder, perch/templates/forms/contact_form.html, and tried adding it straight in as a content type perch/templates/content/contact_form.html. Neither seem to do what it's supposed to.

The docs simply say:

After creating a form, submit it once so that the Form App can detect it. Then go to the Form App link in admin.

For me that's making a massive assumption the reader knows what 'submit it once' means.

• Does it mean find the form template (perch/templates/forms/contact_form.html) and click the submit button? I guess not.
  • Does it mean navigate to the url of the form template (e.g. https://www.mysite.com/perch/templates/forms/contact_form.html)? Again it seems not.
  • Does it mean add the form as a content template (perch/templates/content/contact_form.html) Again, it seems not. Adding this adds it to the template drop down on Perch region options. This displays the form but still doesn't show in the Form app.
  • Does it mean adding the form as a content template and then submitting the form once? Doesn't seem to be the case, I've done that and still no sign of the form in Perch' control panel.

I'm a bit lost as to what 'Submit it once' is supposed to mean? I'm sure it must be a common Perch thing as the writer seems to think it's obvious, maybe a link to where the details are for submitting something as suggested would save quite a bit of head scratching and wasted time.? I understand it's a new feature, I'm just mentioning the issue as it seems the docs as of this moment are a little bit vague.

Fred Rivett

Fred Rivett 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It just means submit the form, as in click on the button so that your form submits. Nothing specific to Perch at all.

I would suggest watching our video about creating a form: https://docs.grabaperch.com/video/v/a-contact-form/

Forms isn't a new feature, we've just made some enhancements to the app.

Hi Rachel, thanks for the swift response.

I see, I did wonder that (and tried it as one of the options). I guess that makes the most sense.

I must be doing something else wrong though, I've added <?php perch_content('Contact Form'); ?> into my page where I want it to display and that all works fine. Added the region as a contact form using the template saved in templates/content/contact_form.html, saved the settings and loaded up the page. It appears and works as expected which is great. I submit the form and it displays the success message, but when I go to perch/addons/apps/perch_forms/ it still says 'No forms have been submitted yet. Submit a new form to have it show up here.'

It might be that I'm working on the staging domain but I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue. It's a redesign so both the staging domain and live domain are online and both have their own perch folders.

Thanks for the video link, that's helpful, it's just strange that I seem to be following it correctly but not getting the form to appear in the CMS.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you added the app to config/apps.php ? If not it won't be registered and available to handle the form submission.

Oh dear, classic mistake, missed that step in the docs. Yep that's it, my fault. Apologies for wasting your time, and thanks for the help.