Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Forms

Perch Form Autoresponse not working

Hi there,

Is anyone else having trouble with the new perch_forms (1.8.1) "Autoresponse" option found in the Form Settings not working - or can anyone who has it working provide some advice on setup?

I expected the "Send auto response" option to activate a confirmation email to send to who ever fills out our Contact Form but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have tested inside and out of our local network with the same result.

All settings found in the "Sending email" options are functioning as normal, I'm just not getting an auto response sent to the email address I use in our Contact Form email field...

<perch:input type="email" id="email" required="true" label="Email" placeholder="you@company.com" />

Have I misinterpreted something or am I doing something wrong?

We are running Perch: 2.7.2, PHP: 5.6.0, perch_forms (1.8.1)

Any suggestions appreciated - Thanks in advance.

• Gavin
Gavin Mills

Gavin Mills 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Does your mailserver support sending email to addresses not registered with it?

Have you tested using something like Mailtrap? https://solutions.grabaperch.com/development/email-testing-with-mailtrap or sending the mail via Gmail's SMTP?

Hi Rachel

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't know if our mailserver supports sending email to addresses not registered with it but we are currently running off 'smtp.office365.com' and I was testing both a registered and unregistered address.

I followed your instructions re: Mailtrap suggestion (thankyou) including making sure I swapped out the mailtrap_host, mailtrap_username and mailtrap_password with my .config file settings:

//Mailtrap Testing
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_METHOD', 'smtp');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_HOST', 'mailtrap.io');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_SECURE', 'tls');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_AUTH', true);
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_PORT', 2525);
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_USERNAME', 'pasted from Mailtrap SMTP Credentials');
    define('PERCH_EMAIL_PASSWORD', 'pasted from Mailtrap SMTP Credentials');

...but the email test in Perch > Settings > Email, keeps returning:

"Invalid address: PERCH_EMAIL_FROM"

Have I missed something or made an error somewhere?

Thanks again :)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you have PERCH_EMAIL_FROM defined in your config.php file? It should be there from the initial setup process.

Thanks Drew good spotting!

I had the previous email settings commented out to test Mailtrap but didn't think to include the PERCH_EMAIL_FROM as I just copied & pasted from https://solutions.grabaperch.com/development/email-testing-with-mailtrap and followed the instructions.

So I've added it back in and email test is working as is Mailtrap but still no Autoresponse to the email address I'm entering into my Contact Form email address field.

I have upgraded to perch_forms (1.8.2) in hope this issue would resolve itself but no luck.

I have noticed however that under "Perch > Settings > Email > Sending email > Email address field" dropdown doesn't have any options to select - could this be part of the problem?

Thanks

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that's all of the problem - it can't send an auto response without an address to send it to.

Can you turn on debug - do you get an error on that page?

Thanks Drew

Have turned debug back on - no errors to be seen but if I "Inspect Element" in Chrome the Console displays 1 error:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CACHE_MISS

https://www.energytracking.co.nz/perch/addons/apps/perch_forms/settings/?id=1

Does this help?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Is this for a new form, or an existing form?

I am also having this issue Gavin. Test email in settings works as well as reseting a users password. But no joy with the forms autoresponder.

Perch: 2.7.2 PHP: 5.4.34 Form_app : 1.8.2

I am getting this error when a form is submitted

PHP Notice:  Undefined property: stdClass::$responseEmailMessage in PathToPerch/addons/apps/perch_forms/PerchForms_Form.class.php on line 199

Hope this helps

Drew McLellan said:

Is this for a new form, or an existing form?

It's for an existing form on our staging site I use for testing before making these kind of updates on our live site.

Drew your suggestion I found on [this thread] (https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/10-30-2014-forms-replyto-email-address/) re "delete the form within the Forms app and set it up again" works but I can understand how this could be quite annoying for some people.

So for me the Autoresponder / ReplyTo email address function is now working.

Do you have a solution for anyone who doesn't want to delete their existing form?

Thanks.

Damon Golding said:

I am getting this error when a form is submitted

PHP Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$responseEmailMessage in PathToPerch/addons/apps/perch_forms/PerchForms_Form.class.php on line 199

Hope this helps

Thanks for your input Damon.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That's not how it's designed to work, that's just a troubleshooting step.

I also deleted the form and started a new.

It worked for a while until I changed some of the details (intro text) then unfortunately it has stopped working again :(

Deleting the form no longer fixes the problem

Drew McLellan said:

Sorry Drew my mistake.

So if deleting and starting again works - what would be the next troubleshooting step?

Thanks.

Damon Golding said:

I also deleted the form and started a new.

It worked for a while until I changed some of the details (intro text) then unfortunately it has stopped working again :(

Deleting the form no longer fixes the problem

Damon I tried replicating this a few times but mine is still working fine.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Damon - if you have a problem then you need to start your own thread giving your Diagnostic Report and any other information to help us help you.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Gavin - apologies this thread has got a bit confused :)

I'm not sure what your current situation is. Is the form now working or do you still have an issue?

Thanks Rachel - no problem, my form is still working as it should both ways since deleting it out of perch and re-submitting through the contact form.

I was just curious as to what Drew's next troubleshooting step was going to be re:

Drew McLellan said:

...for those who didn't want to delete their client's contact form because of stored responses?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't know yet! But I'm working on it.

Good man! Cheers Drew I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)