Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Suggestions

Creating A Subdomain

I have a self promotional site running on fairly latest version of Perch.

What I want to do is move what is currently the root site to become a subdomain e.g. instead of my domain.com/ its my domain.com/photography/ then use the main domain for another part of the business.

1. Ideally I do not want to have two admin folders to achieve this.

2. I know how to create pages from within Perch using pages app within a subdirectory however I would like to reuse the database already created for the original site for the subdirectory accessed site, is this possible? Could I edit the database to add the subdirectory path into each reference or is that a whole heap of trouble?

I know I could always just recreate this site again but thats a lot of duplicated work. I did try duping the site then shifting the paths, but it seemed to cause errors in the page display.

Nigel Coath

Nigel Coath 1 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I'm not clear if you're trying to move the site, or implement a second site within the same instance of Perch.

If the latter, that may not fall within the license terms.

Okay I will explain. One of our sites currently promotes our photography service which is just a part of what we do. I want to move it to a subdirectory so that it almost acts like a microsite. The whole site is still for one company on one domain.

We use adwords for photography as standalone search terms so we don't necessarily want them to land on a generic design site.

1. Firstly surely this is still within the license terms, as its all branded the same company?
  2. Secondly ideally I want to move the content to the subfolder, but when I tried the content contained did not relink (I moved the pages files and updated the paths).
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You should be able to move the pages into a subfolder via the control panel.