Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Sharing content across pages

After failing with the list/detail two page setup I have decided to take this back to a basic test, and it's just not working.

I have index.php in the root folder. A simple region created using the text_block template filled in with "Just some text"

<?php include('perch/runtime.php'); ?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang='en'>
<title>Test</title>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<?php perch_content('Intro'); ?>
<script></script>
</body>
</html>

This display "Just some text" — All good.

I have then created another.php again in the root folder

<?php include('perch/runtime.php'); ?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang='en'>
<title>Test</title>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<?php 
    perch_content_custom('Intro', array(
        'page'=>'index.php',
        'template'=>'text_block.html',
                'count'=>1
        ));
?>
<script></script>
</body>
</html>

It displays nothing. A var_dump returns NULL

I had a similar issue with my footer's region which I only resolved by making the region shared, which doesn't seem right to me.

Russell Gooday

Russell Gooday 0 points

• 4 years ago

Debug returns this. I'm guessing it's page path options?

SELECT regionID, regionTemplate, regionPage, regionRev AS rev FROM perch2_content_regions WHERE regionKey='Intro' AND (regionPage='index.php' OR regionPage='*') No matching content regions found. Check region name (Intro) and page path options.

Problem partially solved. It's a root directory issue, which I think is covered in the getting started docs. I wrongly presumed my subfolder with perch in it would be considered to be the root, but it's not.

So /foldername/index.php works.

echoing $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] on my index page gave me a clue and the debug was useful.

Now to try and address the root folder/subfolder issue

I believe I have now fixed the root folder issue. Initially I avoided the virtualhost recommendation, because I suspected it would open a whole can of worms, which it did. Quite a bit of time and trial and error to get something working.

I'm using xampp and to the uninitiated like myself I fixed it as follows:

In C:\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf search for 'listen'. You will find something like 'Listen 80'

Add another listen port underneath, for instance Listen 8080 and save

In C:\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

Add the following

<VirtualHost *:8080> DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs/projectfolder" ServerName localhost:8080 </VirtualHost>

Obviously replace projectfolder with your project folder name and 8080 with the port number you chose

Lastly in perch\config\config.php change define('PERCH_LOGINPATH', '/projectfolder/perch');

to

define('PERCH_LOGINPATH', '/perch');

you should now be able to use localhost:8080/index.php instead of localhost/projectfolder/index.php and /index.php will now work in perch_content_custom

If this is bad advice then obviously please do correct me. It's only what I managed to source from stackoverflow and the like.