Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Installation

Installation Problems with Perch 3

First of all, the Perch documentation is innaccurate for Perch 3. The directory path to the setup form is inaccurate. I did manage to work that out however. Once I completed the form and designated the username and password, I received a confirmation that Perch was successfully set up. Then I was required to log in again. I used the exact username/password I had just established and received a message that the login was incorrect. I then requested to reset the password but did not receive a reset email. I tried it a second time. Still no result. (Junk folder checked).

Should I be using Perch 2 instead? Is Perch 3 too beta for a non-IT pro at this stage?

kyle cadotte

kyle cadotte 0 points

• 3 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

The directory path will depend on your hosting. We don't know anything about that.

Perch 3 is not beta software, however Perch is designed for web designers and developers so we assume in our documentation that you understand how to configure email on your server and so on. If you are not a web designer or developer then you would probably need to work with one to use Perch, as non technical users are not our target audience.

Hi Rachel ~

I've installed Perch 3, but it will not accept the username/password I created one step previously. It also will not send me a password reset email. Can you advise me on this?

Thank you.

Answers...

If you install Perch 3 by uploading the zip file directly to the domain server and then extracting it into the public_html folder, it will install within a shell folder called 'perch_v3.0.11'. The contents of that folder must be moved outside this folder directly onto the public_html folder for the path 'perch/setup' to work. This is not explained in the documentation as far as I can see.

I also first used the registry key to set-up on my development domain, not the live domain that it is registered to. The installer rejected that so I reinstalled it to the live domain, however my new login kept being rejected as invalid. The solution was to log-in to the Perch account and select LICENSES and then enter both the development and live domains there. After doing this I was finally able to log-in using the username I had originally designated for the development domain.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Step 1 of the installation instructions are to extract the zip. You're then told to copy the perch folder. I'm sorry you've got confused, but I believe the instructions are correct. https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/getting-started/installing/