Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Configuration, Suggestions

Images with uppercase file extensions won't upload in Paranoid mode

In Perch Paranoid mode, if I try to upload an image with an uppercase file extension (.JPG), it fails.

Many clients want to upload photos taken on iPhones and iPads, where the default file extension is uppercase .JPG, so this is a serious issue for them. Changing the extension on the same file to lowercase, allows the file to be uploaded - but clients don't want to have to manually edit the file extension on all their photos.

Perch has a list of mime types with acceptable extensions at: perch/core/data/mime.types

The lines relating to common image formats are:

image/gif                   gif
image/jpeg                  jpeg jpg jpe
image/png                   png

If I amend these lines to:

image/gif                   gif GIF
image/jpeg                  jpeg jpg jpe JPG
image/png                   png PNG

images with uppercase extensions will now upload in Paranoid mode.

I'm assuming this list of extensions is only checked if the site uses Paranoid mode.

I can fix the problem on individual sites by editing this line. But it will get over-written on updating Perch.

Would you consider amending this core file? Or making the check of the file extensions not case-sensitive? Or even moving the mime.types file to the perch/config folder (like filetypes.ini) so it can be edited and won't be over-written when updating Perch?

I posted about this issue previously in this thread, which also has my Diagnostics report: https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/10-17-2017-in-paranoid-mode-images-not-uploading-if-they-have-uppercase-file-extensions

Thanks.

Mark Melling

Mark Melling 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Sorry, why are you asking this twice? You still have a currently open thread about this.

Drew,

Apologies. I thought you may not be watching the old thread and, since this is a suggestion for a change to core files, I should really post it in "Suggestions".

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

No, I have it sat in my queue. I need to look into it so I can let you know.