Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Searching within blog fields

Hi all

Just wanted to see if this was possible before I went ahead trying to code it (as I have no idea!)

I have a business directory (using the blog plugin) with search functionality that looks up the Name and Description.

What I now want is to be able to search by Street Name - which is just a new text field within the blog template.

e.g. for https://www.lovebedfordbusinesses.co.uk/businesses/business.php?s=l-s-accounting-firm the Street Name is '10a Lime Street' so if somebody searched 'Lime Street' - this business would appear in the search results.

Many thanks

Rich

Rich Hemery

Rich Hemery 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

That should just work.

As in, if I amend some coding it will work? The current search only searches the title and description field I think...

as, https://www.lovebedfordbusinesses.co.uk/search.php?q=10a+lime+street

isn't picking up L S Account Firm which has 10am Lime Street as the address.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Oh, no, you're right. The Blog app searches the title and post body. It's designed for blog posts.

I thought that. So there's no way to modify the pearch search so it looks up different fields within the blog template? I guess I could use tags as a workaround - just wanted to check as there's 700+ businesses.

Thanks

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

There's never no way, but it's not something the app has an option for. A PHP developer could modify it to work that way.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

PHP Developers - if anyone has a solution for this I will be willing to pay £25 - contact me at rhemery@bedford.ac.uk

Thanks

Just bumping this thread. I'm willing to pay £50 for anyone who can help me here.

Let me know. Thanks.

Sorry to pester/bump this thread again. £100 final offer - I'll shut up if no responses again!

Just saves manually tagging 500+ businesses!

Thanks

Rich