Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Gallery

Gallery albums arranged/selected by "tags"

Hi

Just upgraded to the latest version (3.0.11) and trying to familiarise myself with categories/tags which seem to have become much more powerful (complicated).

All I really want to do is to be able to give one or more tags to each of my photo albums (e.g.. 2017, 'Christmas', 'History', 'Transport' etc). Then be able to offer all relevant tags to the user and then when they choose a tag, they see the photo albums with that tag.

Seems reasonably straightforward but cant really work out how to get started.

Will a tag be a type of category? I've tried creating a set called 'photo tags' but it asks me to choose a set template and a category template. Lost at that point.

Is there a primer somewhere on how to do this? It must be a fairly common requirement.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers - Mark

mark buckley

mark buckley 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Are you using the Gallery app, or just doing your own thing with content?

I'm using the Gallery app.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ok. Tags aren't the same as categories. Which do you want?

Tags I think. Something that is flat, not hierarchical. So that albums can have more than one. So as above, the tags might be the 'year', 'events', 'transport', 'history' etc. Each album could have any combination of tags. I then need to be able to let the end-user click on a tag to see all the albums with that tag. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers - Mark

Tags I think. Something that is flat, not hierarchical. So that albums can have more than one. So as above, the tags might be the 'year', 'events', 'transport', 'history' etc. Each album could have any combination of tags. I then need to be able to let the end-user click on a tag to see all the albums with that tag. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers - Mark

Just to be clear, not Perch tags but photo tags, like Flickr and othr photo gallery sites use. Except I want to tag albums. Maybe in the world of Perch it's a type of category?

Just to be clear, not Perch tags but photo tags, like Flickr and othr photo gallery sites use. Except I want to tag albums. Maybe in the world of Perch it's a type of category?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't think the Gallery app has tagging for albums, so I'm not sure what to suggest.