Forum

Thread tagged as: Discussion

A change to how we version Perch and the 2.9 feature list

A forum thread for discussing this post on the Perch Blog: https://grabaperch.com/blog/archive/a-change-to-how-we-version-perch-and-the-2-9-feature-list/

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points

• 5 years ago

Some good stuff on that list!

I'm curious, does the CSS/UI enhancements address the issues seen with multiple blocks/repeaters - for example some kind of show/hide expand/close accordion setup maybe?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Yes we know that it would be useful to be able to somehow collapse those down. The trick will be to do so in a way that doesn't cause a usability issue to someone else.

If things have been added to the Suggestions tag on this forum then we're aware of the suggestion/feature request/issue. That's our main source of reference.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

The new features sound great and I am always impressed with your commitment to continually improving the existing features and usability for editors and developers alike. As with many other developers, Perch is a big part of my business. So, thank you very much for your continuous effort and support.

The new approach to versioning seems like a great idea. With the new approach of releasing features and fixes when they are ready, rather than waiting to release them in one go, new functionality will be released quicker with less bugs in one go. Brilliant.

I expect this will mean more releases more often? The only downside I can see to this is that it means, as a developer of 30+ sites in Perch, there'll be a lot more of backing up of files and database, logging in to each clients FTP to upload core folders/apps, testing etc.

With potentially more releases, the ability to update from within Perch control panel, would be very helpful. And in my Perch Account listing: the ability to see which sites are running which version at a glance would be super useful too.

If there are any other tips and tricks to maintaining larger quantities of perch site updates (other than Perch 'Hands On' service, which I have used and is excellent) I'd be very interested to hear.

Simon have you tried using git and deploying with something like deploybot?

https://deploybot.com

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Some sort of deployment service is what we would also recommend.