Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Forum

Custom Daily Quotes

I'm considering buying Perch for a small website - mainly for its blog (I didn't want to use something like WP). However, I'd like to know if it's possible to use Perch to create a custom daily quote for each day of the year. Basically, is there a way of using Perch to display a new post each day without any manual intervention (I have a list of quotes ready, but just need to know if the mechanics are there to post them automatically each day)? If so, please point me to where I can find more info on how to implement this. Otherwise, thanks anyway.

stvace77

stvace77 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, you could add your list of quotes with a date for each one, and then selectively only display the quote for the current date.

You'd do this with perch_content_custom().

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's good to know that it's possible. I'll need to look into that a lot more. Being a complete beginner with Perch, I've been struggling with the basics. I've only recently managed to get it up and running on Xampp - to test before purchase.

Appreciate the tip.

Hi,

I'm at the point where I have a functional blog on my test server. I'm now looking to try and implement a Custom Daily Quote. In your initial response you stated that I could add a list of quotes with a date for each one, and then selectively only display the quote for the current date. OK, my question is 'HOW'?

Could you start by advising me about where I add the list of custom quotes? I've been into the Perch Admin site and gone into the region of the page - currently left as default 'intro'. On 'intro' I'm able to choose a template:

article code block file google analytics image map text text block

The option 'article' permits the setting of a date for the present year. However, I want to be able to use the exact same quote on the exact same date of any year, and include a quote for the leap day of February 29th. Please confirm that you were thinking of the 'article' section - otherwise, kindly point me in the right direction. Assuming it's 'article', I will need to create 366 separate articles - 1 for each day of the year, including a leap year. How do I then 'call' each day using the perch_content_custom() function - by date - while excluding the year element (currently 2017)?

Hopefully I'm making sense. Once this last hurdle is over, confirmed working, I will be purchasing Perch to enable the website to go live.

Thanks for the assistance.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I would suggest watching this video which achieves similar: https://docs.grabaperch.com/video/v3/perch-content-custom/