Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions, Forum

Perch Forum Privacy for Web Developers

In regards to this Perch forum and privacy, during your next update can you enable the option for forum users to use a username, or other alternate name other than their Perch account first/last name? If this is not available can a private forum section be setup for only licensed users, or web developers?

Many of the people who post, or would like to post on this forum may wish to be private, but still utilize the open forum method in order to receive advise & feedback from their peers. I initially hesitated on joining the forum as I didn't want my posts to be published Internet-wide with Google indexing the posts for potential clients to view in the future. This is the main channel of support you provide for Perch licensees and no phone support. So it would be great if you could add an alternate username feature for Perch Forum support! Currently when you sign up for the forum it automatically pulls your first/last name from your Perch account which is linked to the license and gives no option for a username, or alternate name to use on the public forum.

As an alternative if Perch forum screen-names can not be dissociated from Perch account licensees a private forum section would be great too! That way web developers can be completely open and fully engage Perch support without any hesitation of potential clients viewing the content.

Thank you for your future feedback.

Robert

Robert G

Robert G 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You can always create a new Perch account to use with the forum.

That is a work around, true.

How about a private section of the forum for licensees & support to discuss items that we would not want published Internet wide?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

These aren't bad ideas, it's just a case of resources. Generally I try to prioritise my time on making Perch better rather than developing forum software.

Thanks for the reply Drew. It may be a good option as I see many developers discussing Perch in depth on the Slack Perch forum which allows some privacy. I guess I will take up your advice on the initial comment and create another account with an alias email and alias name for posts I feel necessary. Maybe in the future you can try one of the methods I suggested as that would make it so much easier for those who want to keep our posts from being indexed on Google.

Take care, Rob