Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Forum

Form Submissions

Hi all,

Is there a way to display form submissions on a page of the website? For example, an admin backend that is not Perch..?

Thanks.

Conor Harkins

Conor Harkins 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, the Comments app does that.

Does this allow custom templated forms to be submitted and the submission contents viewed on a page of my choosing? If so, HOW COOL!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, that's what it does.

Awesome! So i've installed the app... Does this combine with the forms app in order to send emails, control what happens when the form is submitted etc? As I can't find out how to do this using the Docs.

Never mind. I figured out how to pass in multiple apps to handle the form. Is this the right way to do this? This way I can get a notification email, and decide how I want the information to be handled with the amazing forms app.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What are you trying to achieve over all? The Forms app is a simple form-to-email implementation, which is quite different from what you'd do with the Comments app.

Basically, I wanted a simple way to have survey forms and when they are completed, their information will show up on a secure page that office staff can access - not Perch. The only problem with the Comments app was that it wouldn’t notify me because I guess it doesn’t have that functionality.

Unless there’s an easier way to get completed form information out of the database securely? If so, please let me know as I would rather that than having to utilise two addons for this task.

Maybe there’s a way I can pull this information directly from the database? If so, that would be better.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't think any of the first-party apps do exactly what you're after. It might be better to rustle something up using the API instead.

Ok. Is there any way to pull information from the database without using the API?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

By querying the database.

Do you have documentation for this?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, because you're asking how to do stuff outside of the Perch ecosystem. We don't have documentation for things that aren't Perch.

No, I get that. I meant do you have anything setup for creating the connection to the database? Or do I need to create the connection using my own script?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

The API is what you would use to do that, if you want to do things via Perch.

Ok. Understood. I'm still no further forward with this as I don't have previous experience with the API. What code would you use to create a connection to the database and query the perch members table, for example?