Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Gallery

Image Gallery App and Image Metadata

Hi,

The company I work for have asked me to develop a new Intranet, which for ease and speed I'm considering Perch/Runway for the task. The only issue I currently can foresee is our Image Library - we have hundreds of images and around 2/3's of that is stock imagery.

We need to be able to tag images so people can search for them based on those tags, similar to iStock - which shouldn't be a problem. But to save a huge amount of time, instead of going over each individual image and adding tags to it manually, I wondered if Perch/Runway would allow data to be entered automatically in a field (for the tags) based from the image metadata when it's uploaded (as iStock embed all their tags in the images), and whether this could be done automatically through batch uploading as well.

Is this something that is currently possible? And if not, would it be considered in future?

Philip Gwynne

Philip Gwynne 1 points

• 6 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It's something we have considered although it would only be available to people who have the PHP EXIF functionality on their server.

https://php.net/manual/en/ref.exif.php

I'm not sure how commonly that is installed on shared hosting.

Thanks for clarifying, Rachel.

We're using Media Temple's dedicated hosting, which PHP EXIF is enabled by default.. but I'm not sure on it's availability on shared hosting either.

If the feature isn't requested highly enough or will be hindered by availability on servers, would there be a way for a third party to develop a plugin for the Gallery App, which wouldn't affect the official app install itself? (i.e. the Gallery App could still be updated) I'm thinking similar to a custom field type, but for the Gallery App, that wouldn't lose the functionality each time the app is updated.

P.s. I've just checked my personal shared hosting with Media Temple and they have PHP EXIF enabled by default as well - just thought I'd add it so you can keep track of where it is enabled.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I'll have a look into it and see what can be done.

Thank you Drew and Rachel!

I've just got back from holiday to find this functionality is now added - after just one week too!

https://grabaperch.com/blog/archive/perch-277-assets-panel-enhancements

Happy days. Off to Twitter to promote Perch once more... :)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Turns out we didn't need EXIF for that. I was surprised!