Forum

Thread tagged as: Installation, Configuration, Hosting

Running Perch locally

I want to test out a new feature on a client site running Perch, and am using MAMP locally but have never had a local development environment set up for Perch.

I would like to use the current live database, or a copy of it, for testing the new feature locally, but am not sure how to go about setting this up, and whether I would need to install Perch locally from scratch first.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Jon Tarbuck

Jon Tarbuck 0 points

• 4 years ago
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi Jon,

You can download all the website files to your local development. Export a copy of the live website database and import into MAMP. Then change the details in /perch/config/config.php to point to your local MAMP database.

That should be it.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It's essentially the process detailed in this support note on moving a Perch site https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/building/servers/how-do-i-move-a-perch-site/

Thanks guys - have run the Perch test, followed by install of the latest version of Perch locally running on MAMP. I have connected to the current live database via Sequel Pro, but the sql dump that I export from that app is too large for PHPMyAdmin in MAMP to import, even when I've upgraded to the latest version.

I would export and import the tables one by one but there seem to be different tables on my local, up-to-date version of Perch, compared to what's on the client server...

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Thanks Rachel - have managed to get this to work now. I was wondering how I go about setting up Categories, as I'm looking at this in admin, and it has three fields - Title, Slug and another Title field. What do I need to put into each of these fields?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi Jon

this sounds like a different issue, I'd suggest that you raise a new thread for that.