Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Per region help

I was wondering if it is possible to use Perch Help tags (or something else) in order to display help information per region rather than per template.

Garth Holmes

Garth Holmes 0 points

• 4 years ago

Not quite sure I understand. What do you mean by region and template here?

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

I guess you're wanting to use HTML within the help tags?

Unfortunately, as you probably realise, although it's possible to have multiple help blocks, they are all pulled to the top of the template.

It would be really useful to be able to have help blocks throughout the template.

Hi Simon,

It most certainly would be useful.

My templates are becoming more complex, and by extension regions and having help per region would not only look better, it would mean that when using blocks, if a block is not selected then there is no irrelevant text for Content Editors to read.

Cheers

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Yes indeed. It would be useful.

Don't forget the help="Text here" tags in regions.

Eg.

<perch:content type="text" id="heading" label="Heading" help="Give the article a title" />

And divider-before and divider-after

eg.

<perch:content id="beds" type="text" label="Number of bedrooms" divider-before="Room configuration" />

Also notes-before

Eg.

<perch:content type="text" id="start_time" label="Start time" notes-before="Enter the event timings. Be as specific as possible." />

All of those are useful. But can't have html in.

It's not so much having HTML, it's the functionality I am after; structured content and all which is where Perch absolutely excels.

I haven't used divider-before="" much since for repeaters, it does that as well, e.g. repeats and is a canned approach but saying that, developing with Perch does make you think about the practical applications/implications of what you are designing for others to use and I'd like to take it a step further in bringing clarity to why certain regions have specific features.

For example, sometimes content needs to be repeated for mobile view since it isn't shown in desktop because of CSS floats, negative margins and so on as using things like Flexbox may be less appropriate or you simply want to move on to other design elements in your page because a float and negative margin work at the time and in addition it would help with clarity of purpose.