Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Hosting

Perch and git workflow

This is more a question to fellow perch users. I run my site off a VPS and i was just wondering if anyone has a good workflow for updating and making edits and git?

Currently i have my site on git but i am trying to work out the best way in which i can integrate git into my process in order to avoid needing to physically move any files etc.

Even better, is there any perch users who would consider writing up a blog post on such things. Ill keep trying to work on how i can try use some hooks to push things straight to my server.

Mathew Doidge

Mathew Doidge 2 points

• 6 years ago

Hey Mat,

Rachel wrote a great article on this: https://24ways.org/2014/developing-robust-deployment-procedures/

From all the solutions mentioned in the post, I choose to integrate my repo with Deploy. It's really great: you commit, preview the changes files on Deploy web interface, click deploy and hop! Files are uploaded to the server.

Hope that helps!

Robin Pick said:

Hey Mat,

Rachel wrote a great article on this: https://24ways.org/2014/developing-robust-deployment-procedures/

From all the solutions mentioned in the post, I choose to integrate my repo with Deploy. It's really great: you commit, preview the changes files on Deploy web interface, click deploy and hop! Files are uploaded to the server.

Hope that helps!

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this. Will have a read and look into Deploy. I've always been reluctant to introduce another service if I can make my own system for pushing to the server, but this could be just what I need.

I will share how I get on!

Hey Mat

I've been using Deploy for a good few months now and it's been really useful. I'd enthusiastically recommend it.

Mark Phoenix said:

Hey Mat

I've been using Deploy for a good few months now and it's been really useful. I'd enthusiastically recommend it.

Hey Mark,

Yea I've been using it since I posted the question. I'm really happy with it so far—makes my life so much easier! Thanks for the heads up though, it's nice to know others are using it too!