Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Runway

Changing Image Dimensions of Existing Image Content

In a Collection, I'm using a content template with an image fieldtype. This has already been populated but I now need to change the width and height of the images within the template, using the same ID. What’s the best way to re-save all the images so they are processed in their new dimensions? Currently, it appears I have to remove the image, then add it again for the resizing to work – but there must be an easier way? (I hope!)

Philip Gwynne

Philip Gwynne 1 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You should only need to save the content once the template is updated. You shouldn't need to remove the image and re-add.

Thanks Drew. Is there any way of doing this for 100's of collection items in one go, rather than having to save each one again individually? (Similar to Republish for Pages)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Would your server cope with 100s of image resize operations at once?

Hmm. We are running a high spec dedicated server for this one. Could it be staggered at all?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Possibly, although it then becomes a bigger operation - more than something for me to just write you a script for.

When you say 100s - how many hundreds?

I understand. The total number of collection items we need to update is 564. I've updated some of these manually but not a lot (just to check my updates are working).

The site has basically undergone a fairly comprehensive redesign or "realignment", and we want to use the same content fields and IDs. We're just needing to change the image dimensions across the site to match the layout and design changes, so we can optimise for those sizes.