Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions, Blog

News instead of blog

I've searched the forums and documentation and have seen a lot of posts/docs on using the official blog add-on for a news section on the site.

I've also seen where you change the translate file from "Blog" to "News" to remove any traces of the add-on being a native blog module.

I'm building out a site for a client, and they have a need to have a handful of news items appear on the home page, and then of course a news post page which show the full news post with a seo friendly URL.

My question is this: is using the blog add-on overkill when all I need is a title, content, and a vanity URL? Would it make more sense to utilize the blog add-on and rename everything or to roll my own news section?

My question also stems from a handful of the tutorial videos that show a news app...is that a renamed blog app?

Eric Thomas

Eric Thomas 0 points

• 5 years ago
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi Jonathan,

It sounds like your requirements are simple and I would probably go with using standard Perch Content to do this, using the 'list and detail' technique: https://solutions.grabaperch.com/architecture/how-do-i-create-list-detail-pages

Why reinvent the wheel? The Blog app is meant to do exactly what you're trying to do. In my experience, simply explaining to the client that "Blog" is the name of the app that they'll use to create news articles is not a big deal. The word 'blog' won't show to the public anywhere, assuming you rename blog.php.

LOL both of your responses are what I've been going back and forth with. Although Simon I do appreciate the link to the 'list and detail' doco- I haven't explored that yet.

But thanks for the feedback, guys!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I'm not sure which videos show a news App? However I'd probably use a Runway Collection for this sort of content.

A regular Perch Region isn't designed for 100s of items, so if you are using regular Perch and there will be a lot of content maybe the Blog App is a better idea just because of the way regular Perch content is versioned.

I went with the blog, and used the translate file to edit all entries of where it says "News" to say "Blog". Everything was good, and then the client asked why this said "blog"...seriously. If I can't change it- it's no big deal, but I was curious where this was defined.

screenshot

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If that's not being translated then it's a bug. We'll take a look.

Hello Drew,

I've updated the translations in perch_blog/lang/en-gb.txt and can still see "Blog" as shown on the screenshot posted by Jonathan. Are there more translations somewhere else or is it still a bug?

Perch: 2.8.31, PHP: 5.6.10, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 3c688b6bbc30d36af3ac34fdd4b7b5b787fe5555 $, with PDO
Server OS: Darwin, apache2handler
Installed apps: content (2.8.31), assets (2.8.31), categories (2.8.31), perch_forms (1.8.3), perch_blog (5.0), perch_backup (1.2)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_forms', 'perch_blog', );

Thank you