Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error, Installation

Installation error

I have just downloaded Perch for use on a new project. I have uploaded the perch folder to the web root and run the setup. I have successfully completed the Server Checks, Database and License form but on submitting the User account form (admin user details + Login credentials) I get a 500 error. The logs show the following error:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function iconv() in [path_to_web_root]/perch/core/lib/PerchUtil.class.php on line 796

I have checked my server configuration and iconv is definitely installed. I am running PHP 5.6.33, MySQL 5.6.37 and inspecting the new database I created I can see that Perch has successfully created a number of tables.

Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Alistair Steger-Lewis

Alistair Steger-Lewis 0 points

• 3 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

If you check your php.ini or output phpinfo() in the PHP script, is the iconv extension enabled?

I checked with phpinfo() which reports that the Configure Command includes '--with-iconv' and '--with-iconv=shared', although this is the only reference to iconv. Is that correct?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There should also be a section with an iconv heading in the page. That's odd that it seems to be there but not working.

iconv is actually only used as a last-ditch fallback if the proper transliteration extension isn't available. Do you have the option to enable the Transliteration extensions in your PHP config? If so, that would be a very good solution.

Thank you both for your help. I am going to ask my hosting provider (Hostmonster) about adding PHP extensions - there is no iconv section or heading on the phpinfo() page - but just so I am clear about what I am asking for: the extension I would ideally like is called "Transliteration"? Or is it called something else? Please excuse my ignorance!

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

That's perfect, thank you. I have activated intl and iconv in my PHP config and the installation/setup has completed. Now to build something...! Thanks again for your time.