Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Api, Shop

Could one add/update product data within the shop app programmatically?

Hi there,

Getting back into Perch after some time away, and really impressed with how it's come on since early versions - so flexible compared to anything else out there - many thanks to the Perch team! :)

I have a prospective runway customer who I want to implement a web shop for, and the main issue he has is that he sells on other platforms, and keeps a master db of products from which he exports structured data and upload new inventory weekly to the various platforms he uses, and wants to do the same with Perch CMS.

I know you are working on the collections API for v3 (any news on the timeline?), but I was wondering whether it's worth me even digging into using PerchDB to allow import into the shop of new products, skus and quantities, or whether this is a non starter, and I should wait for the collections API (which, might well not even work with the shop).

I can foresee issues like updating existing products when they have sold (setting quantity to zero?) on further weekly imports, and wondered whether I am attempting mission impossible in bending Perch to do something it shouldn't.

Has anyone had experience importing and updating data within Perch from an external data source?

Advice/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Al

Al Power

Al Power 0 points

• 4 years ago

Al, as a Perch registered developer I have first hand experience with using the new CollectionsImport API which is currently in Beta 11. It works fantastic. I am not sure how/if it would work in this situation. I say this because I don't think Perch Shop stores products in collections, i'm thinking they are stored in Products Table in Database. Because I don't have Perch Shop App installed in my current dev server I can't verify this.

I will listen to the comments which will come from Drew and Rachel on this thread and we can learn together :)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Hi Al - import for Shop is something that's on the roadmap. It builds on the new content APIs in Runway 3, but isn't automatically provided by them, it's another job on top.

What's your timescale for the project?

Thanks both for the responses. I'm starting the design and build in the next few weeks, but was looking to start the shop import part in about a month.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ok. I'm working on Shop at the moment, so I'll take a look and see if I can work out how much work will be involved to see what a realistic timescale would be.

Thanks Drew - much appreciated.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I think this is going to be reasonable to implement - just need to run a proof of concept.

Thanks Drew - keep me posted! Much appreciated.

Hey Drew,

Hope you are well. I know you have been busy (and maybe away for a week somewhere!) but thought i'd ask - did you make any progress with the POC?

Thanks, Al

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, it looks like this is something we're going to start working on once Runway 3 is out the door. So should be in the next release of Shop.

Thanks Drew for the update.