Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Runway

How do I pass the page title into a template in Runway?

Hi! I'm trying to pass the Perch-admin created Page Title into a content template (specifically into a hidden field in a global form, necessary for submission tracking) in Perch Runway.

I've spent hours trying to figure this out and tried handfuls of solutions unsuccessfully.

I want to do this in an HTML template, not in a PHP file, as there's a ton of HTML around this one hidden field and I don't want to echo it all.

My last attempt involved set_var and perch_content_create...

At the top of my header.php:

<?php
  PerchSystem::set_var('trc_title', perch_pages_title(true));
  perch_content_create('Contact Form', array(
      'template'=>'contact-form.html'
  ));
?>

...and then in the content template "contact-form.html":

<input id="Field7" name="Field7" type="text" class="middle hide" value="<perch:content id="trc_title" hidden="true" />">
<!-- (more form code followed by this test) -->
<p><perch:content id="trc_title" hidden="true" /></p>

The form displays, but I'm not getting the page title in either the the input or the paragraph. What am I doing wrong?

Joel Davies

Joel Davies 0 points

• 4 years ago

Joel, at the end of contact_form.html add <perch:showall /> and see if the debug output has the trc_title variable

I added <perch:showall /> to the template but the debug output does not show trc_title.

Along the way I noticed that my perch:content call was wrong. I should have type="hidden" instead of hidden="true" :

<input id="Field7" name="Field7" type="text" class="middle hide" value="<perch:content id="trc_title" type="hidden" />">
<!-- (more form code followed by this test) -->
<p><perch:content id="trc_title" type="hidden" /></p>

That did not solve the problem. I also tried declaring the variable in the header.php file:

<?php
  $title = perch_pages_title(true);
  PerchSystem::set_var('trc_title',$title);
  perch_content_create('Contact Form', array(
      'template'=>'contact-form.html'
  ));
?>

...but that produces no joy either.

Huh, I think I figured it out. In the page template ("home.php") I was declaring:

<?php perch_content('Contact Form'); ?>

but in an older support thread I saw a suggestion that it needed to be:

<?php perch_content_custom('Contact Form'); ?>

This seems to work, although I am confused, because I also have an item I want to be editable <perch:content id="form_mailto" label="Send Message To" /> in the same content template ("contact-form.html"). I thought that using perch_content_custom meant I would not be able to edit that field in Perch admin. That appears to be not the case.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

perch_content_custom is parsed at runtime, which is what you need if you want to pass something in.

It does not create a region, so you will need to use perch_content or perch_content_create to create the region, otherwise it behaves in the same way but the output is not cached at edit time.