Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

How do I re-name a Region?

Having created a region 'Intro' following the examples in 'Getting Started' I realise (predictably) that it's not a very good name for the content I've actually got in the Region. So I'd like to re-name the Region (or copy the content to a new region with the more appropriate name). I could start again from scratch, but I'd prefer not to lose the content I've created.

What's the best way to go about this?

Tim Dawson

Tim Dawson 0 points

• 3 years ago

I've managed to find an answer, which is to change it in the MySQL Database. Probably not ideal, as there may be dependencies that are now broken. We shall see.

Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

Have a look in the region settings or location tab - there’s an option there to change the key (name) of the region.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

As Duncan says, you should use the existing interface for this.

Thank you. I am sure it's better to use the interface. However, at risk of making myself look really stupid, I have to say I've been unable to find anywhere to edit 'key'. I can edit 'Path', yes, but I don't want to change the name of the page, but of the region that the page picks up.

I've looked in both the 'Location' and 'Settings' tabs in "Edit 'filename' Page".

So instead of "perch_content('Intro')" in my page file I'll have "perch_content('Services')". Having renamed the 'Intro' region to 'Services' it will pick up the same content. I know this works because I've done it in the DB. But I'd like to do it the right way!

Please tell me how to do this. Do I start from the 'Listing Pages' or from 'Editing Page'? Or somewhere else.

Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

I was assuming you were using Perch 3 - this was introduced then.

Region Options is the tab I was thinking of.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

From the main Pages listing:

1. Click on the page
  2. Click on the region you want to change
  3. In the smartbar, click on Region Options
  4. Scroll down past Editing, Search and Permissions
  5. There's a section "Region Key" highlighted by a yellowish warning divider. Read the warning.
  6. Enter the new region key in the field
  7. Click Save at the bottom.

Thank you. Now of course I can't understand why I didn't find that for myself! In this instance it has already changed because of the action I took in the DB previously, but I shall know for next time. May I suggest that an item "Changing Region Name" be added to the Help tutorials?