Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Api

How does Askimet work inside of Perch?

I just signed up for an Askimet account, and per the Perch instructions I inserted my Askimet API key, but exactly how does Askimet work inside of Perch? If I mark something as SPAM what happens?

Kelly Crossley

Kelly Crossley 0 points

• 6 years ago

Just in case you didn't do everything needed in the Form App (if that's what you're using), have a read of this as its not just inserting the API key. You have to add some antispam attributes to specific input tags. See https://docs.grabaperch.com/addons/blog/spam. I can't answer your last question I'm afraid, as I don't know if it feeds back to Akismet or just puts the item in the form's spam list/queue.

Hi Kelly,

My experience of using Akismet with the forms app in Perch was that I never got any spam through to mark as "spam".

It really does work that well.

I'm glad I asked because I would have never known you had to modify your forms template.

1. What would have happened if I had not done this extra step? Would Akismet still have worked?
  2. What happens if I mark an email as SPAM and I haven't modified the forms template with the spam attribute?
  3. Aside from the body text, what fields do you recommend I add the spam attribute to?
  4. If Akismet determines that a submitted form is in fact SPAM does it placed in the SPAM section of Perch?

I really wish Perch would put together a document on how Akismet works with its application so we have a better understanding of its functionality.

Thanks for your help.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What would have happened if I had not done this extra step? Would Akismet still have worked?

No - you need to tell Akismet which fields to process.

What happens if I mark an email as SPAM and I haven't modified the forms template with the spam attribute?

It just gets marked as spam. Nothing more.

Aside from the body text, what fields do you recommend I add the spam attribute to?

Map them as closely as possible. If your form has a name and an email address, those are obviously good matches.

If Akismet determines that a submitted form is in fact SPAM does it placed in the SPAM section of Perch?

Yes, that's what it does.

Thanks Drew.

Drew, I was adding the SPAM attribute to my form template and I think I may have coded some of the form incorrectly. Here's what I have:

<perch:input type="textarea" name="message" cols="50" rows="7" resize="vertical" id="message" required="true" label="Message" tabindex="4" antispam="message" </>

Surprisingly it works, but shouldn't the end characters simply be /> instead of </> ?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, it should be />

Ever since I installed Akismet on one of my client's websites, all of the SPAM has gone away. Typically, we would get 4-5 SPAM forms per day. That's really good news. However, I didn't see anything in the SPAM section of Perch. I mapped everything out per your instructions.

Did I do something wrong?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Are you getting normal submissions through?